Harmon Kardon in e46 330i sounds terrible??

I love my 04 330i, but the stereo in it doesn't sound very good? it has the 10 speaker Harmon Kardon, and i cannot get it to sound very good at all? I thought that it was because i was using "burned" cd's, so i got the originals out of my collection, and they sounds just as bad? I have played around with the bass and treble, with now real improvement.

Now comes the hard one to get past.... the cd's sound way better in my

99 for ranger with a stock 6x8's....

Does anyone have any ideas? or has anyone else had this same issue?

Reply to
rhalljr

My 1996 325iC has the Harmon Kardon. I bought the car in 2000, the system sounded great (except for weak low bass response). One of the front kick plate speakers went bad, I replaced it with a similar size. The original BMW head unit had been replaced with a European Pioneer unit (FM but no AM band). I installed a new Pioneer head unit.

Here is how I cured the bass response: The HK amp is mounted behind the passenger side rear seat. I added a 200watt single channel amp mounted behind the driver side rear seat, feeding a 10" square subwoofer in the hole where the ski door would be on a sedan (it is closed off on the convertible so as not to interfere with the conv. top mech.) This makes a totally invisible installation, but it definitely audible. All the sound goes into the car instead of in the trunk. After 8 years, I do need to replace the subwoofer, it is getting a bit loose.

My daughter has a 2004 325 convertible with the multiple speakers, it also sounds good.

Your problem may be related to bad speakers, a bad HK amp, or even some problem in the head unit. I'd use the faders to feed only front left, then front right, then rear left, then rear right to see if that sheds any light on the problem.

Jim

Reply to
Ballroom Dancer

Is there sound coming out of all the drivers? If you pop the covers, are there any drivers with visibly damaged surrounds? Is the sound okay with the balance full in either direction? Are you the original owner of the car, and if so, did it sound this way when it was new?

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
rhalljr

I bet a nickel that one or more of the drivers is damaged. Possibly all of them. And probably due to abuse on the part of the first owner.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

Reply to
rhalljr

It is difficult to know if I have the same issue as you if you do not describe what the issue is.

What, specifically, sounds bad? Distortion at normal listening levels? No bass? Too much treble? Occasional squeaks? What?

Reply to
bjn

in article 4857cc96$0$7717$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com, rhalljr at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote on 6/17/08 7:39 AM:

isolate each speaker quadrant ... fader ... balance ...

left/right and front/back speaker sets.

allow the stereo to put all the signal down one section of the car and check for performance ... if any at all.

go from each of the four areas ... and see where the speakers are putting out or not.

if each section is the same feable output ... then the music box is poop is my next check.

put in a good one that works ... or put your bad suspect one in another car that you know works well ... and test it there ... if you have that means cheaply to do a test.

otherwise ... a electronic brainaic has to be let lose on it ... see if you are losing the wire loom ... or if a connection as come apart to some measure.

most of electical problems ... are just to be sure it is plugged in.

since you have a plug in going on ... some sound ... then the output is the problem to go down the logic path is my IMO

sumbuddie wear blind sea

:)

Reply to
Alan B. Mac Farlane