Headlamp plastic problem

A body shop some years go fix a dent in the hood. But the bozos buffed the headlamp covers when they were doing the finish polishing on the hood. This has caused a fogged unclear appearance in the plastic. I can't go back and complain, they aren't in business any more. Is there anything I can do to clear up the plastic? I've tried mechanical polishing with Meguiar's plastic polish, doesn't work.

Reply to
dbr

I have a polisher, not an orbital but a rotating one. I purchased both rubbing and polishing compound from 3M. It is used by paint shops. You can buff them out or perhaps buy new ones from ebay or there is a BMW aftermarket website.

rob

Reply to
Robert

I bought a set of used headlamps for my E36 because the lamp assemblies I had were cloudy. I think I paid $40 for two lamp asxsemblies on eBay. Anyhow, after I bought the new lamp housings and installed them, I found a bottle of plastic polish in my garage that I am not sure where it came from. I used it on the lamp assemblies that were removed, and after several years (probably 3 or 4) of hanging on a nail in my shed, they are still clear and bright.

I don't know which Meguiar's product you used or which productd I used, but there is a plastic polish out there that will clean the lens of your headlamps. Alternatively, I have a set of E36 headlamp housings that are in pretty good condition that I could sell ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

headlamp covers when they were doing the finish polishing on the hood. This has caused a fogged unclear appearance in the plastic. I can't go back and complain, they aren't in business any more. Is there anything I can do to clear up the plastic? I've tried mechanical polishing with Meguiar's plastic polish, doesn't work.

Probably already mentioned but if really scratched then 1000 wet & Dry with soap to smooth out then Fárecla polishing G7 or finer compound then finish with T-Cut or silver/brass metal polish. Loads of elbow grease or polishing machine.

Did this with daughter's record player lid when she spilt nail polish remover on it.

Hugh

Reply to
hsg