Headlights + Turn Signal = High Beams?!

I recently purchased a 1992 525i 5-speed. With the headlights on, flipping the turn lever down (to signal left) makes the high beams turn on. This does not happen when the lever is pressed down before the detent (as if I were changing lanes) and does not happen when the lever is pulled up to turn right. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Reply to
blee

blee wrote on 31 Jul 2006 20:35:40 -0700:

I've had this before on my E36 - and then realised it was my fault. At the bottom of the anti-clockwise stroke I was nudging the lever forward which puts on the high beams. I know it sounds patronising to ask, but are you sure you're not knocking it slightly forward?

Dan

Reply to
Spack

I went out to my car last night to investigate further. It turns out that the signal lever has enough play in it now, such that it rocks forward just slightly when it's fully depressed -- enough to touch the contact for the high beams. Pulling back on the lever (as if to flash my lights) a very, very small amount is sufficient to make it go away. Sounds like I need a new switch in there.

Reply to
blee