Help: E28 Turns Over But Won't "Catch" After 6 Mos Sitting

Page 1 of 2
Help! My '85 535i had a dead battery and sat for 6 mos (under a car cover). Now the battery's good, 1/4 tank of good gas, turns over just fine but the
engine won't catch. I've jiggled all the fuses, disconnected and reconnected the battery negative cable to reset the computers, still just runs the starter without catching. I know there's a ton of info out there on "no start" problems, but I'm hoping the fact that it ran great before it sat so long will help rule out some of the possible problems. Where do I begin? TIA!! Scoobey
On Sat, 12 May 2007 05:46:39 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospamDISPUTESOLUTIONS.ORG wrote:

Sounds like a dealer re-program ???

Check the fuel pump relay is working. And the main engine management one.
--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

How do I check the relays? Thanks!
On Sat, 12 May 2007 19:45:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospamDISPUTESOLUTIONS.ORG wrote:

12v battery few pieces of wire a bulb that works or a multimeter set to ohms.
or if you have to ask that question then I would advise you to get hold of a local hot rodder or auto electrician or get it to a BMW expert.
I've got a multimeter. But which post to which post etc.? Alternately, can I test the wires going into and out of the relays while it's in "run" to see whether there's flow through the relay?
On Wed, 16 May 2007 15:02:00 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospamDISPUTESOLUTIONS.ORG wrote:

If your car has fuel pressure, a spark and compression (150PSI or thereabouts) the next question is .....
Does it have a NIKASIL lined block.
If so it might be worth a few squirts of oil down the bores via the plug holes to help seal the rings as there is reported a sever blow-by with nikasil bores if left for a long time. However, if it wasn't burning oil before then it won't after it just needs the extra sealing to get it going.

On an '85 535?
--
*How much deeper would the oceans be without sponges? *

Oscar,
with the other posts yopu have made asking about a Nikasil block and suggesting dealer reprogramming, YOU need to go back for a software update

know some of the earlier 6s were also ally and later changed to iron blocks for the US market.
It is valid that a nikasil block may need extra sealing to start it from a long lay up period. Not every time but often enough to have that info to hand.
Sorry if you don't agree.

We don't agree because the US never had nikasil inline 6 engines until the M54 engine in the E46. So you are simply wrong. This has been mentioned in many posts many times; you simply don't pay attention or are incapable of reading.
The V8's are a whole other kettle of fish.
FloydR

Leave it out Floyd........... I can read but I do NOT remember all the posts some of you US plonkers make as most of it is so bloody trivial that anyone that can read would find 90% of the answers in the bloody hand book or would Google for it to start with.

Don't be silly. There's a thriving classic car scene in the UK - and in much of Europe. And the E28 is definitely a classic.
--
*It ain't the size, it's... er... no, it IS ..the size.

Of course there is Dave and as you say the operative word is CLASSIC. these guys use them as everyday transport and wonder why they breakdown and things go wrong and rave how fantastic their 1985 BMW 5 series is on the school run and then moan they can't get bit for it.
Classic Cars are one thing - keeping an old banger running is a totally different kettle of fish.

Plenty use a classic for everyday. Mine gets driven on most.

Just a frame of mind. 'Keeping a car running' can apply to cars of any age.
--
*Organized Crime Is Alive And Well; It's Called Auto Insurance. *

London SW

OK, who's picking on my beater? Mine really runs great. I wish mileage was a little better, but it will take many v8s from the light and get better mileage than they do. I drive it all the time. When we need a "better look", we take the wife's 98 528i. I just go places that her car would be more in peril going/doing. There isn't a "keeping it running" thing for this one. However, the suspension is over 21 years old (minus the replaced parts, of course), and the design is older. I do like the e39 ride better.
Bill in Omaha '86 535i
Just a little reminder to all and sundry regarding petrol or gasoline.
Gasoline can be stored for around 6 months in a can - usually a specially designed light proof screw top pressure resistant type "spare gas" can as sold for the purpose of.
In a vehicle's gas tank it will be useable for around 3 months before it starts to deteriorate. The point where it becomes unusable I cannot determine but eventually it will to the point where it won't work in a car but you might be able to use it to clean something or light the bar-B-q but I wouldn't advise it.
So if the car don't start after 6 months - it could be the gas.
Remember - diesel owners. Don't stockpile diesel fuel as the summer stuff goes gooey and treacle like in winter and will actually freeze where the winter stuff isn't too good for summer use as it's too thin and that blended for cooler climates doesn't suit prolonged use hotter or warmer ones like Alaska - California or Southern Spain - Iceland.
On May 31, 3:01 am, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

When did you hear any moaning about parts? This one hasn't even been diagnosed yet. Odds are it's a commonly available relay; maybe a fuse. Nothing I can't lay hands on in a day or two.

Yes, it is. And, since you have obviously never dealt with this particular kettle, I'd respectfully suggest you take your damned stirring spoon and go home. Meanwhile, some of us can offer useful information on the subject. -- C.R. Krieger (It's an '88, not an '85)
On Wed, 30 May 2007 21:52:32 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

We call them classics and if the car is nice enough or you just like that particular body style, you restore one (or hot rod it). Sorry that in "euroland" that hasn't caught on...

Don't laugh
I bought a Nissan "CEDRIC" 4 door hard-top for 65 gb pounds ($130 US) some 18 years ago. Bit of a wreck with a 2000 cc inline 6 fuel injected (similar to the Z engines.)
Got an old 280C (UK badged version) - they looked a bit like an Olds Cutlass of 1966 ish.
Swapped the 2.8 six into it and stuck the 280Z inj unit on to keep it almost stock - the 2 litre six wasn't available in the UK.
2 new fenders (wings 2 x rocker (sill) panels and a lot of sheet metal work on the bottom of the doors and boot (trunk) made it quite presentable being the only one in existence in western Europe having NEVER been imported - mine came from Saudi Arabia - verified by Nissan in Japan and the only other odd one was a private import by the agents of a 2 door coup.
Lovely runabout complete with AC and all the toys. Had to swap the radio (even had rear seat tuning!) as it had a Japan/US setup on auto tune where the stations are 10k apart and the UK is 9k or the other way round - lock on one station and skip all the others.....
Car is now in a museum in Suffolk and the bastard never did tax it so it still has my old plates on it - he promised he would relinquish the reg back to me....
Bastard..........
If you are mildly interested........
http://www.peterpan.clara.co.uk/cedric.html
http://www.peterpan.clara.co.uk/cedric2.html