HELP - Electric doors will not Open!

Desperately need help!! -- My wife and daughter-in-law went out to the 94 318i to take a package to mail to my son in Iraq.. Put package in back seat... clicked on to start, only got the 'clickety-click',, Got out of car
and daughter-in-law locked the door before they got the package out... now the package is in the BMW and the doors will not open... did get the trunk to unlock with the key and we are charging the battery... maybe that will solve it, after the battery charges ?? But if it does not please provide some suggestions? We are in deep trouble... thanks in advance.. Ralph Griffith
--

"There are only two ways that you can live. One is as if nothing is a
miracle. The other is as if EVERYTHING IS A MIRACLE. I believe in the

None of the doors will open? Not even with a conventional key? --scott

thanks for quick reply Scott -- the only key she has is conventional (I think) When it is inserted into either of the two front doors and you turn and all four doors unlock.. when she got out of the car after it would not start, by habit she immediately inserted the key and turned and all 4 doors locked. now they will not even make a noise,do you suppose a locksmith could run one of the tools down on the inside the window and pull up and unlock it? Any help much appreciated. Ralph Griffith

"There are only two ways that you can live. One is as if nothing is a
miracle. The other is as if EVERYTHING IS A MIRACLE. I believe in the
The doors on that car operate mechanically when the key is inserted into the lock.

thanks for the reply Jeff, My knowledge of BMW is almost nil, when the key is inserted and turned, the doors all unlock,, it does sound like a mechanical function... we had a very hard, heavy rain last night - could this cause the key not to work. When you insert the key now you can only turn it slightly , but no opening action.. Your help appreciated... thanks. Ralph Griffith

--

"There are only two ways that you can live. One is as if nothing is a
miracle. The other is as if EVERYTHING IS A MIRACLE. I believe in the

Try a different door.
You may have something wrong causing the locking solenoids to be all activating and trying to lock the doors constantly. You should be able to fight them to open at least one door, then pop the hood and remove the locking system fuse.
You MAY be able to get underneath and operate the hood lock by hand, but it's tight under there. Once you can get the hood open you can disable the whole stinking electrical locking system completely. --scott

Try a different lock. And, change your news client to plain text and set the encoding to one of the Windows options.
The locks are mechanical, and when the key turns, it strikes a switch that operates the other locks. The lock that the key is inserted into is operated mechanically, so if the battery dies, you can still get into the car. The trunk lid is also mechanical. The battery lives in the trunk on the right side in the space between the tire and the bumper. Lift the tray out to expose the battery.

Usually the [off side] drivers door lock is mechanical, but on some cars it is the left hand. You can then open the doors and pop the bonnet and recharge the battery.
On some cars the boot lock is mechanical.
You can either charge the battery (in the boot) or clip a trickle charger on to the boot light.

I *think* there are two levels of locking on that model - normal and deadlocked. When deadlocked the rear doors can't be opened from the inside. But the front doors should open with the key even with a flat battery. When the battery has some charge it should be possible to unlock the rears. But it should all be explained in the driver's handbook.
--
*A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

thanks to all -- after charging battery, the doors opened ok... very , very helpful group and much appreciated. Ralph Griffith

--
"There are only two ways that you can live. One is as if nothing is a miracle. The other is as if EVERYTHING IS A MIRACLE. I believe in the latter" Albert Einstein