HELP! MY DOOR LOCKS & HAZARDS KEPT GOING ON & OFF SAT. NIGHT AND NOW MY X5 WON'T START :(

I was wondering if anybody has had this issue before...the stupid cup holders on the X5 are placed right next to some switches in my car (a center console includes 2 cup holders and the hazard lights switch and the door locks switch). I braked hard at some point on Sat. night and remembered a bit of my pop falling on to these switches but thought it would be fine. I parked my car and a few hours later on my way home, the door locks would keep randomly locking and unlocking and the hazards would go on and off randomly...as if somebody was pushing these buttons. I parked my car Sat. night at home and didn't use it again until this morning, and now the battery is drained. My bf tried to jump my car for a bit, but he had been having battery problems earlier with his car and we aren't sure if he had enough power to jump my X5.

I read some forums beforehand, and someone said that if this problem occurs, just replace the center console buttons...here's the link to the part....

Is it possible that just a fuse or something blew out in this part, that robbed my car of all it's power, and I need to replace it before I can charge my car again? Most likely, the hazards and door locks were going off all night until the car's battery just drained....

I am worried that this is going to be a huge problem, and I really hope not...so i would appreciate any help you can offer...thanks so much.

Reply to
Peach

part....

More than likely, the liquid you spilled shorted the switches and whatever else is in there. If you're up to the task of replacing the switches yourself, you should be up to the task of washing out your switches. Remove them from the console and put them all under running water to wash out any sugar residues. Then, drain them, dry them as much as possible, and spray them thoroughly through all edges and holes with WD40. It wouldn't hurt to rinse them with alcohol, either. I'd use the 91% isopropanol you can buy for $1/pint. Then, let them dry *completely*. You can use a hairdryer on them if you're careful not to get them too hot to touch, but be sure there's no water inside them and don't melt the damn things. Then, spray in some 'contact cleaner' (Buy it at Radio Shack or an electronics supply store) to clean and lube the contacts. Finally, put them back in and test them.

While you're doing the switch work, you should also be recharging the battery - and not from another vehicle. Use a proper charger. You can no doubt buy one for less than replacement switches will cost you.

-- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
E28 Guy©