HELP Please- 98' 328 Convertible Roof will not lower

Somehow, While cleaning and vacuming my car with the roof down, somehow the convertible roof became inoperable /stuck. Later I pulled the safety release catch (under the rear seat) and cranked it up the top by
the front crank (with the supplied allen key).
Now, I've reconnected the drives to the two motors in the trunk, and inspected all wires I can see, now nothing happens-no movement at all. Two other points the convertible metal deck looks a little misaligned and .....even though the roof is closed, the "roof open emergency light" continues to blink all the time.
Is there a good CLEAR explanation guide with trouble shooting or can anyone out here help. Thanks ( in Arlington VA) cell 703-200-746 nine