Help replacing fron fog lamp S39

I am reasonably comfortable with low level car DIY but would appreciate some guidance with replacing a front offside (UK) fog lamp (the round eyeball type).
Do I need to remove the bumper? I can't see any easy way to access it behind the bumper moulding. Thanks
DCA wrote:

What's an "S39"?
admin wrote:

Ah - it's a typo! But then you probably knew that huh? E39
DCA wrote:

I suspected it, but wasn't certain.
Now more info is needed. Are your fog lights rectangular or round? There were different ones used on different year E39's.

You've not really read the post, have you? ;-)
--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

admin wrote:

Page 155 from my '03 owners manual (do you have one, did you look?):
1. Using a screwdriver, remove the mounting clips for the air grill and remove the grill by bringing it toward the front.
2. Loosen both screws (inboard of housing).
3. Take off the cover panel next to the headlamp
4. Turn the headlamp 90 degrees to the left and remove it by bringing it toward the front.
5. Disconnect the plug
6. Turn the lamp to the left and remove it.
To reinstall, reverse the procedure.
If you don't have an owners manual, you can download one or purchase one for a modest price from any BMW dealer. If your email client can accept large files (5MB or thereabouts) I can email you the pdf.
R / John
John Carrier wrote:

These are two expanding rivets, only can be seen by laying on the ground looking up at the bottom of the bumper.. the grill is the small air grill just inside of the light assembly.
See: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT42&mospidG541&btnrQ_4252&hgQ&fg
Parts 16-20.

These are exposed after removing the grill.

See the diagram below

Perhaps they mean the bulb holder? It's not clear what they mean by 90 degrees..

Diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT42&mospidG541&btnrc_0648&hgc&fg

admin wrote:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT42&mospidG541&btnrQ_4252&hgQ&fg

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT42&mospidG541&btnrc_0648&hgc&fg

Do you (they) mean 'cover panel next to *headlamp*' as opposed to fog lamp (given the headlamp is the other side of the bumper!)
DCA wrote:

The cover to be removed it the grille next to the foglight.. I think their translator got confused.

That's the older design, pre-01 - 03 when they went to a slightly narrower grill and a different lamp assy. You don't have to go under the bumper on the newer cars.
R / John
John Carrier wrote:

Mine is a March 2001 model and it has the plastic rivet clips - which once I actually saw (I missed them when I first posted my question) were no problem to remove and later replace. All done and working - thanks to all.
John Carrier wrote:

Many thanks for the response No - sadly I have not got around to buying a manual yet and just for the fog lamp I was trying to avoid the expense right now. If you'd be kind enough to email this to me that would be fantastic - yes I can receive anything under 10Mb. A BMW manual will be so much more than a Haynes one - I think I know which I will be going for next time I DIY. Thanks David (please remove the 2 maps from my email address)
Send me your email and I'll send the owner's manual as a pdf file attachment.
R / John

John Carrier wrote:

intercepted) if not, then it is dca860 at yahoo and then the co and uk Cheers David
Why bother to replace the fog lights. Buy a new car! After all you do have a BMW so you must be loaded like me
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor