Help - Self-Leveling Shocks Swap

Hi,
I have a '92 525i Touring Wagon and apparently I am "lucky" enough to have self-leveling shocks in the rear. The prices for replacements are
outrageous, is there a swap to get rid of the self-leveling hardware so I can use more reasonably priced gas shocks? Is this terribly tough? Thanks!
- Scott
Scott wrote:

Dinan sells suspension 'kits' (stage I through stage III) for this purpose. A few years ago I replaced the front and self-leveling rear suspension on my '91 M5 (stage I) for somewhere around US$1,700.00 plus labor. Work was done by Bavarian Professionals in Berkeley, CA.
-- Phil Robyn 1987 535is 1991 M5 Univ. of California, Berkeley

You can swap in the standard oem parts (springs & shocks) and cap off all the hydraulics for about the same price as replacing one hydraulic shock. Then you've got a matched, refreshed suspension that's more easily serviced in future.
At least that's what we did several times on E32's with that issue.
-Russ.
Apparently its my rear accumulators that are bad and the local BMW shop wants $600 to repair it including labor. He also quoted me about $800 to redo the "entire" front end. My question is how hard is it to replace the rear accumulators? Is this something I can attempt leave to a shop? I would say I am an average backyard mechanic. Thanks!