Help! Steering locks up.

What could cause the streering to "stick or delay/ lockup when one tries to make a sharp right turn, like you would if you had to make a quick right to
exit a major highway on to an exit ramp.

What did you hit?
For what did the cop give you a ticket?
How much trouble do you think are you in?
We may need to get inventive, here.
--
Dan.

Paul Rood wrote:

Slipping power steering belt, low PS fluid or some other PS fault might do it.

At highway speed, would you even notice if the PS cut out?
Tom.

Yes - on my first car (1978 and not a BMW) handling at speed improved when the PS failed. OTOH parking a heavy car with fewer turns lock to lock was hard work!

R. Mark Clayton wrote:

What kind of PS what that then that when functioning increased the number of turns lock to lock?

No.
I drove my car dead-stick -- no power at all, coasting in N -- for several miles down a mountain grade decending from 2600 ft to 1200 ft, and the steering was the least of my problems.

    What model BMW are we talking about? There are reports of "sticky" power steering on the Z4 models with electric-assisted power steering, apparently due to extended use during high temperatures.     epbrown -- "Everybody wants a normal life and a cool car; most people will settle for the car." Chris Titus 2003 BMW 325i Black/Black, 2003 BMW Z4 Black/Black
I don't know what model you have, but I just went through this with an e30 325ix, and it was the swivel joint (universals) were seized in the steering column. Looking at them they looked normal, but upon removal, they were nearly "frozen". The car had 210k on it...
Paul Rood wrote:

A severely worn steering rack can cause this.