Help with E36 Climate control

I've just recently bought an E36 323i Sports touring. (1999) 136k Miles. No matter how fast the fan is running, there just doesn't seem to be much airflow out of the heater vents, especially the vents below the screen. The
fan does change speed with the control, from slow to fast, but just no real change in airflow. I tried pressing the 'recirculate' button to see if that made any difference and it didn't (I was hoping the low airflow was due to a blocked microfilter). Any ideas as to diagnostics procedure on this fault? Thanks for any links or ideas.
JB
You car is equipped with an air filter for the cabin, this filter is called a microfilter. Yours is clogged and is waiting to be replaced.

switched on?
Thanks for the advice..
JB

Of course. All of the airflow has to pass through the microfilter. Outside air goes through, and inside air goes through.
Take the glove box out. Remove the steel structure parts. The microfilter is located at the forward section of the center console, and it comes out into the passenger side footwell.
It is somewhat of a pain in the ass to do, but it doesn't need to be done often. I don't recall the price of the filter, but it seems that I paid about $25 for mine at the dealership.

controller 'giblet' not opening the flaps or something. I'll do this at the weekend. Thanks again,
JB