Help with E36 front speakers (and rear) replacements

Hi all,

I have just installed my Alpine head unit and 6 cd changer in the glove box and would now like to upgrade the speakers in my E36 touring.

I have been looking but can't seem to find out how hard it is to replace the front speakers (130mm or 5 1/4in) as I can see them right down far in the footwells (perfect posistion!) behind the covers, but can't see how easily they could be changed. There are tweeters in the doors but I would be happy to just replace the 130mm with a

If anyone out there knows how to remove the covers etc I would be most grateful as it looks a bit tricky and I don't have a hanes manual as yet.

Also if anyone could recomend any that work/fit well?

I'm not after monster sound (I may add an amp later though) just something better than the screetchy standard ones.

I am also thinking about upgrading the 100mm rear ones (built into the headlining) as well so if anyone has any suggestions for those as well?

Many thanks in advance,

Jon E

Reply to
Jon E

Just done to the same sort of thing but to an E36 saloon.

For the rear speakers i just brought an 6x9 adaptor from Uplands Media which lets the 6x9 sit below the space of the originals.

For the front u can buy better quality speakers of the same size, although I have not yet done this.

To get the tweaters out you simple take the inside of the door of and the tweaters unscrew from memory. With regards to the front speakers from memory the cover just poped off. I think the whole outside covering just pops off.

hope some of that was helpful, also what head unit you got, as i am having problems finding a decent head unit with 2+ outputs which is black and looks good, as my curent pioneer silver split screen looks crap.

best of luck

Toby snipped-for-privacy@beer.com

Reply to
Toby