Help with serpentine belt: '01 X5

So what's the secret installing a new serpentine belt on a '01 X5 3.0? Got the old one off, I've routed the belt accordingly, the !#$ tension pulley is a bear! I've noticed there is an "auxiliary" tension pulley
also. Does this one need to be released? If so, how? The bolt in the center does not seem to loosen tension like the normal tension pulley. Very frustrated. Any suggestions?