Hi guys. Bimmer still bummer?

I remember there was a guy on here a while back talking about how his bimmer was a bummer. The auto trans' reverse just gave out.
Anyway, I was thinking of buying a BMW...needless to say that put me
off a bit! I wanted an older E46 as the newer BMWs don't have a spare tire! Don't have a dipstick?!? and have these idiotic, expensive run flat tires.
I'm still thinking of getting one, it's either that or a hyundai genesis coupe, infiniti g35, or maybe a jetta.
What do you all think? Is bimmer worth it? Or are they bummers? And what's up with no dipstick?
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 27, 6:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

HI guys.
I'm new to this...tried to change my name, we'll see how it goes.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 27, 6:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

hi guys.
Add pictures here
✖
On Aug 27, 3:21 pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Are BMWs worth it? Depends. BMWs do require more maintenance, i.e., brake fluid changed every year or two, coolant changed very 2-4 years (depending on service guide), manual trans and diff fluids changed every 30K or so. Therefore, if additional maintenance is not your thing, get a Japanese car.
If you do decide to get a BMW, try getting one without all the fancy, dancy features. BMW nav sucks. So does it idrive. If you have a choice, get one with a manual transmission.
No dipstick. According to Roundel, BMW claims the an improperly seated dipstick results in - ready - *higher emissions!* :) So, to combat the chance of higher emissions, it does away with the dipstick. "That'll show them!"
I was looking at trading in my E34 535i for a 335d, but it is only available with an auto tranny, a non-start for me, so I passed. Good Luck!
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:48:01 -0700 (PDT), Brewster Fong

Please don't feed the trolls!
Add pictures here
✖
EAT Shit !!! D.

✖

YOu eat shit you worm. Die already.
Add pictures here
✖
: No dipstick. According to Roundel, BMW claims the an improperly seated : dipstick results in - ready - *higher emissions!* :) So, to combat the : chance of higher emissions, it does away with the dipstick. "That'll : show them!" : : I was looking at trading in my E34 535i for a 335d, but it is only : available with an auto tranny, a non-start for me, so I passed. Good
Crankcase checkers rejoice! The 335d has an oil dipstick. Still no joy if you must have a standard transmission unfortunately.
Add pictures here
✖

I hate to tell you this, but doing that kind of maintenance is a really good idea if you have a Japanese car too. Yes, the Japanese car will last longer if horribly neglected, but that's not a reason to do so.

I strongly agree with this, and I remain irritated at BMW's refusal to sell more stripped-down cars in the US. The more features, the more features to repair. --scott

✖

RUN, do not walk to the nearest exit.
Add pictures here
✖

what does this mean?
Add pictures here
✖
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I have 185,000 miles on a 2000 528i ... working real good, factory specs still up ... and the computerized work history is sparse ... all normal wear and tear ... except for one failure at 60k miles for something big, like a water pump and that is it.
Check the puter print out ... most BMWs are cared for that way with qualified BMW trained auto techs.
Also .. the Japs are not buying jap crap .. they are buying German engineering ... mercedes, bmw, etc.
sumbuddie hopes that helps
:?
Add pictures here
✖