High Clutch Pedal 540i

Had clutch instaled 1998 540i. Pedal grabbed right off floor. That only lasted a few months. Now it is like it was before the new clutch. The old disc that was removed still had a fair amount of meat.
Plate,flywheel.slave looked good. The entire package was installed new. Plate,disc, bearing. Has anyone heard of a way to qure this. Thank's Pete

Is the problem intermittent? Does the pedal stick to the floor? Will pumping it a couple of times move the pressure point back up to where it belongs? Is there any visible leakage around the piston of the clutch master cylinder? --scott

The hydraulics will put the pedal closer to the floor when they fail, not near the top.
I agree with your symptom test, pump the pedal and see if the symptoms change, but I'm pretty sure that if the hydraulics are the problem, the clutch will engage near the bottom of th epedal travel, not near the top.
PS The clutch master cylinder can fail internally and there will be no leakage to the outside at all.
Recommend automatic transmission .. last just as long and you get the same gas mileage and brake wear and less repair like you are doing now.
My guess, is that if you have a hydraulic master/slave cylinder for actuating the clutch plate ... that is wearing out. It is the only variable in the subsystem you are working on ... as the mechanics are fixed and absolute ... have a lot of meat on the plate still with poor performance.
Master/slave/hose have to be replaced if you decide that is necessary ... as all three are worn out from use.
To replace the master cylinder alone will blow out the weaker slave and hose subsystems in the clutch hydraulics ... that is if you have that going on.
Next car ... go automatic ... BMW is close to making the infinity transmission ...the V-12 large flywheel torque engine will be at idle all the time and you will have a transmission pedal on the floor to burn rubber at any speed.
sumbuddie hopes that helps
:?
teambuilder wrote:

The problem with this *recommendation* is an auto tranny, even if the slushbox last "just as long as a clutch," will cost at least 4-5x times the price of a clutch replacement! BMW auto trannies are known to be problematic and based on varies comments here and in publications like Roundel, seem to have a "lifetime" of about 100K miles. After that, you're lookng at spendng 5-6K for a rebuilt transmission.
In contrast, even if a clutch wears out at 100K and it only cost about $1K in parts and labor to replace; alot cheaper than having to buy a new transmission. Further, another recommendation is to replace your transmission and differential fluids with a good synthetic from Redline or RP. Makes shifting feel like butter.....Good Luck!
In article

Which transmission are you referring to? Generally ZF are pretty good, life wise.
--
*Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses*

My clutch lasted more than 200k miles. If my transmission only lasted that long, I'd be upset. The clutch costed $850 to replace, how much does a transmission cost?
I have 185,000 on a 528i 2000 edition ...
engine and autotranny are full on factory specs.
fuel pump is wearing they say ...
still it tests at factory specs as well.
no indicators for replacement other then miles on 8 years roadwork.