High Definition Radios

"daytripper" wrote

You said: "Give it more than a moment of thought: digital transmission invariably consumes narrower bandwidth than analog, given the same information."

That's not what you're claiming now. And, it is true only if you make assumptions about the requirements when rendered for human senses. If you want PRECISE transmission of analog data, you cannot (in general) depend upon digital conversions.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

"Floyd Rogers" wrote

Actually, it's quite amusing to read the whole conversation and see where both of our posts - all of which are fairly imprecise and subject to miss-interpretation by the other side - demonstrate the problem of conversation-at-a-distance. Which, of course, is analogous to the (necessarily) imprecise re-construction of an analog signal after A-D and D-A conversions.

We're both right, but on different points.

FloydR

Reply to
Floyd Rogers

No, but in the case of magnetic tape there's no acoustic way of playing it so some form of conversion is involved.

Of course it is, and according to the parameters you choose can give any results you wish.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's due to the fact that we've learned quite a lot about compression technology, have radio receivers/amps with far lower noise than tube technology, can use the time dimension now that we have cheap volatile memory, and other various and sundry items.

Reply to
Alan LeHun

And if you want a precise *recording* of analogue data, only digital can do this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How ironic. You're showing your ignorance.

Reply to
dizzy