High Definition Radios

Page 2 of 2

You seem to be un-aware that all EMF signals - including light and radio waves governed by Maxwell's equations, are analog. That means that all signals in fiber optic cables, cable tv wires, radio signals for 802.11b, etc., are analog (they happen to have digital information encoded in them). If your statement is true, you couldn't receive any information transmitted by digital means.
Ha, Ha.
FloydR

Since you don't seem to want to believe me, why don't you start with WikiPedia. They have some great articles that explain much of this stuff: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadrature_amplitude_modulation and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_to_digital_conversion are a good place to start.
BTW, I have degrees in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science - where these subjects are taught. Just yesterday, I was talking about this general subject with Dr. Bob Olson of WSU (whose research interests are in software radio and data transmission), and Mikal Thomson, the president of Western Wireless (well, WW got sold but he's got a new company whose name I forget).
Digital isn't better than analog, it's just different. Until we are able to encode digital information in quantum states (which would be a transmission technique based upon a true digital medium), we are limited to analog transmission of data, no matter what the encoding.
FloydR
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:24:29 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"
I *love* it when this shit happens.

Yeah, right. Wikipedia. That's a good source of reliable, accurate information...

Oh no!! He's played a trump card, as well as the wikipedia one. Floyd, you're in trouble now.
(Sits back, gets bowl of popcorn, opens a beer)
--
Dan.

It's at least a public place that has articles that are reasonably accesable to a layman.

It's quite amusing when someone doesn't notice that a person posts an addendum to a previous post. It's not "Floyd" that's in trouble, it's the "daytripper" persona. You're only showing that you're almost as ignorant as it, and definitely poorly equipped to speak, read and write the English language.
FloydR
On Sun, 9 Oct 2005 14:58:14 -0700, "Floyd Rogers"

You're right, but it's amusing and it doesn't matter. Remind us again about your educational qualifications.
<snicker>
Oh, and you might want to check out the Weekly World News. It's about as good an authority as wikipedia.
Carry on, I'm on my second beer now.
--
Dan.

says...

It's due to the fact that we've learned quite a lot about compression technology, have radio receivers/amps with far lower noise than tube technology, can use the time dimension now that we have cheap volatile memory, and other various and sundry items.
--
Alan LeHun