High Mileage 540i?

I am a newbee to this group. I have always lusted over the M5 and 540i, but could never afford one. I found a 2000 540i with a 6-speed this weekend
with 137,000 "highway" miles on it. Is this excessive for the 4.4L V8? My father is a Volvo fanatic and says that 137,000 on a Volvo would not worry him as long as the belts were changed according to the factory schedule and the oil was changed regularly.
Any comments on this possible purchase would be greatly appreciated.
By the way, I did drive the car and it is still wonderfully strong. I pulls a lot harder than the Volvo S60 T5 5-speed that my father wants me to buy. But I have always longed for a 540i or M5 within my price range.
Thanks in advance.
Steve Cary, NC
Ape wrote:

now and it had 163K on the clock when I got it. It's a great car and still very strong (7+ qts. of synthetic oil in a 2.5L 6 cyl.). I have absolutely no regrets about the car. None.
Ape wrote:

One sold recently on ebay with something like 270,000 miles on it. 137 isn't a lot but if no maintenance has been carried out it could be due for suspension components etc. If the price is right then go for it.
About 4 months ago I bought a 99' 528i with 170K on the clock. It has been solid, I took it to the local dealer for the inspection service and only thing found wrong was a broken fog light (which I obviously knew ;) ) It's been a sweet car. Don't let the high Mi chase you off, BMW's are solid if they are taken care of.
-Branden

Forget about the Volvo, there is no contest between S60 T5 and a 540i, my 1999 540i 6 speed has 130K on the clock, I had 0 problem over the last 2 years except regular maintainance.

D. J wrote:

wasn't concerned before, nor am I after [also mostly highway miles]. BMW builds great cars. Look for owners that had them professionally serviced with the recommended synthetic fluids, and you will be in good shape.
I have a 1997 535i, which has a V8 engine as well. It's quite strong, but small problems quickly sum up to large bills. For example, last year a power window failed, last week another one failed too. Every time it cost me CHF 450.- (about USD 300). Last year, I spent about $ 2000 for small repairs and service (not including tires). Great car, but expensive to maintain. Just my 2 cents. Best regards.
--
G. Tarantino - Switzerland
1997 BMW 535 253,000 km (152,000 miles)
GT wrote:

those sparkplugs again.
Cheers, Bob

Nice interesting segue, here Bob. The OP is from the UK, where they took the 3.0L V8 to 3.5L when the 4.0 went to 4.4.
The segue is your salutation: "Cheers". He's from the UK and used "regards", you're from the US and used "Cheers"... Kinda backwards...?
FloydR
Floyd Rogers wrote:

Thanks for the correction on that Floyd, learning more every day.
I always use cheers tho so, Cheers, Bob
Bob wrote:

Bob,
Check out the model year of his 535i... 1997. Yeah, that is a V8 but that engine was never available in the US.
--
-Fred W

Fred, You're right: this small displacement V8 (3.5 liter) was made specifically for Europe, where taxes and insurances are very high and basically proportional to displacement. I estimate that the 540 would increase my fix costs by at least $300 per year. Regards Giovanni Tarantino- Switzerland
Steve,
I have a 1997 540i sport with 6 speed and 135000 miles. It is strong and a wonderful car to drive. Slightly harder on the sport suspension, the way I like it. If it's been maintained, no worries. The problems that you WILL have over 100k miles are the catalytic converters and radiator needing replacement, if they haven't already been done.
BobZ