High Mileage M3 Advice

Hey guys,

Curious what your opinions are, I have a 1996 M3 with 175,000 miles on it. The miles can be described as primarily highway, with lots of hard driving. Cruising speed is 90MPH @ 4,000 RPM at almost all times. All owners have been very easy on the brakes, clutch and driveline in general. Original clutch and brakes are from February 2002 and still quite fine!

Recently I've had to replace radiator, front lower control arm bushings, rear shock mounts, thermostat and housing, and a few other little things. During this time I also planned but didn't get to the fuel filter and it also needs a flexdisc as it has cracks in it.

So there's other issues I need to think about, RTAB and subframe bushings, rear differential bushings, rear differential fluid and manual trans fluid (it's leaking out the passenger side near some electrical socket).

Aside from that nothing has EVER really broke on the car from day one of it's life. As in most everyting is factory original. It's garage kept, etc.

Can anyone with an even higher mileage S52 engine or perhaps S50 give me some insight on what I am getting into from 175,000 miles to 225,000 miles? Could the clutch possibly last that long? What about water pump? Should I replace it preemtively? THe cooling system is quite fine. What about a/c? The compressor seems fine yet clicks now and again, especially on the hottest days.

What about the majors like head gasket, or oil pump failure. Timing chain failure? How long can I possibly consider this thing a reasonable daily driver like I have been?

Bear in mind that most of my "75,000 mile maintenance" didn't need done until 175,000 miles.

I'm also wondering what I'm getting into from a cost standpoint. I need to understand the benefits/negatives of keeping this car versus getting into an E46 with under 100,000 miles, and I was hoping someone who has a lot of experience with high mileage bimmers could lend a tip.

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark D

Once you've replaced all those bits on the car they shouldn't need doing again for a while. Why get a sub 100k E46 and have to replace all the things again? Your car's not worth huge amounts and won't depreciate as much as a newer car either. If you want to keep it then keep it.

Reply to
adder1969

If you don't mind fixing things here and there and it still looks decent I would keep it for sure. Might even want to consider replacing things before they go south to pevent more damage (like oil pump).

Reply to
RT