Horn ghost

OKay, another electrical issue. Horn fuse blows. Replacement fuse blows after only the briefest horn sound. After unplugging the horn (inside driver side wheel well) I replace the fuse again and press the button and
the same thing happens; brief horn sound, blown fuse. Where is the other horn? I can't find it. Of course there is the possibility that the unplugged horn is blowing on its own just to mock me. Thanks to all.
Matt
On Thu, 15 Sep 2005 19:22:57 -0400, "M Warren"

Use the brakes more, and the horn less?
:-)
--
Dan.

Most late model cars have at least 2 horns, so it must be there.
Your problem might have nothing to do with the horn. If the wire insulation is broken somewhere on the wire running from the switch to the horn it might cause an earth to the car's body when you press the button. This will blow the fuse even if both horns are unplugged...
MW

If one horn has 'seized' so it doesn't sound, it will draw a lot more current. They've usually got a set of contacts attached to the diaphragm which open when it moves one way cutting off the current and close when it returns under 'spring' pressure causing the diaphragm to vibrate. The contact gap is often adjustable. But you've sometimes got to drill out rivets to get inside - and replace them with nuts and bolts afterwards. Or simply buy a new unit.
--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery.*

age and type of car would be an essential information.
in my case (94 540i e34) the horns fuse blew as well. but it wasnt the horn but the aux heater pump (which is on the same curcuit) which caused the problem.
ingo

Sorry, '91 318is. It definitely only happens when i blow the horn.