How bad is the BMW nav system --- or do I have a flawed copy of the software

Page 2 of 2

I have a circa 1993 Icom GP-22 GPS device.
The instruction manual says that it takes 10 minutes to collect the almanac, and that once the almanac is stored, then subsequent position calculations take from 1 to 3 minutes.
1993 - 10 minutes to collect the almanac, and 1 to 3 minutes to calculate the position.
In my experience in using the device, the 10 minutes to collect the almanac is about right, give or take a minute or two. The 1 to 3 minutes to calculate the position was also correct, with the caveat that usually the time was closer to 3 minutes than 1 minute.

I mean it gets me to the correct street, but thinks I am at the correct number when I am actually a full mile away. (That was the worst case, but it is been 1/2 mile off a few times).

No, this is not that sort of case. Once it tried to take me to a town a full 15 miles away from the actual town, with several other towns inbetween.

Sounds like something to try.
But the GPS is not inaccurate, the navigation is. The screen does show my correct location, but the software often takes me to the wrong place.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.autos.bmw...)