How Can I Find the E Number for My BMW?

I am a new BMW owner. How can I find the E number? It is a 98 528i. Is there a place on the car I can look? Any help would be appreciated.
Jeff

No, it is not on the car.
I am sure you are aware that there are LOTS of 5 Series body styles. The E Number is the factory designation of each different body style.
I'm a 3 Series guy, so I don't keep up much with the 5s. I know why there are E Numbers, I just don't keep up with them.

Which different body styles are there on the last generation 5 Series? They're all 4 door saloons.
--
*Why is a boxing ring square?

Wasn't there also an E39 Touring (station wagon)?
I hope Jeff meant "platform" rather than "body style".
Tom K.

Well, yes. I meant the various platforms. I assume the OP, and everybody exept Dave and you, would not be tripped up by "body styles."
In automotive lingo, body style can mean not only 2- or 4-door or station wagen, it can also mean the difference in lines from one generation of a model to another. The body style of the Enn made from the mid-'80s to the early '90s is markedly different from the Enn made from the mid-'90s to present day. Indeed, the 5 Series cars have changed in this time.

While it is certainly true that all 5 Series cars have 4 doors, except the station wagen models that have 5 doors, what I was talking about is multiple decades of 5 Series cars that have differing lines.

E12 1975 or 76 to 82 E28 1982 to 88 E34 1988 to 95 E39 1996 to 2003 E60 2004 to present

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech-1.asp or http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html
FloydR

AFAIK the E number is not to be found on the car. Your car will be an E39, but I think the only way to find out officially, would be to check the VIN or chassis number with BMW records. The series number and body shape is usually enough to ascertain what the E number is. Mike.
Jeff wrote:

[Stunned that you don't have a definitive answer yet.]
The previous 5 Series, ended in 1995, was the E34. The ones before that were the E28 and E12. The current 5 Series (the Ugly One) is the E60. Yours is an E39. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. -- C.R. Krieger '88 535is
Jeff wrote:

Yours is an E39
--
-Fred W