How Do I Add Alpha Name Tag, CMT-1000 BMW Phone

OK, I know it's an old dinosaur phone, but it works, and I am an old dinosaur! Phone is in a 1994 E32 740iL, original factory phone. I have searched with no luck for a manual for this phone, can figure out all the rest except for this.

I can't figure out how to add an "alpha" tag to a stored number in the phone directory. When storing a number (by inputting the phone # and then pressing STO 02, for example, to store in memory location 2) it promts me for a voice tag, then saves the number without ever prompting for an alpha description. I know it will do it, there is a "Name Menu" key on the phone as well as a "name preferred" option for scrolling by name instead of phone # in the dash display. Pressing the "Name Menu" key just returns the word "empty" - how do I attach an alpha tag??