How does a BMW car radio tune to GPS FM transmitter frequency?

Page 1 of 2
There must be some way to tune my 2002 BMW 525 radio to a particular FM frequency but I can't figure out how so my GPS won't work.
My Garmin GPS nuvi transmit on any FM frequency I tell it to. The
instructions say find an unused frequency and tune the radio to that frequency. OK. But how do you tune a BMW automobile radio to an unused frequency?
On a friend's car in a parking lot with everything turned off, I can tune his American car radio to any FM frequency I like ...... for example to 100.1 FM. Then I can set the Garmin nuvi to speak on 100.1. There's a whole lot of hissing and other sounds but at least I can hear the music and driving instructions through the American car radio.
However, on my Beemer, there are only two settings. One will only find "working" stations so it skips right past the weak GPS FM transmitter signal. If I press the little BMW "m" on the stock radio, I can then press the arrow buttons to go back and forth a bit, but still, there is no way to get to 100.1 which is the cleanest empty station in my area. The dastardly BMW radio skips to whatever station it wants to when you press the arrow.
I'm frustrated with the BMW radio lack of tuning ability.
How do we tune a BMW automobile radio to an unused FM frequency like 100.1?
I would pick one of the empty (skipped) FM broadcast stations. I would then set the GPS to output on a skipped broadcast frequency, eg 100.1 and then let the FM radio "find" your Garmin. If possible, get the Germin as close to the auto antenna as possible.
arthur

You don't have a Beemer. Beemers are motorcycles.
You have a Bimmer.

Press the M button and then tune manually - works on my Bimmer (E46) and my Beemer (R1200RT.
Tom K.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:05:14 -0400, Tom K. wrote:

That's my whole point. When I press the "m" button and then press the arrow, the radio STILL moves to the next "used" channel. It will NOT move by a tenth of a point at a time.
Are you telling me that's how it is SUPPOSED to work? I would have thought so too, so please confirm.
Maybe my radio is broken because whether or not I press the "m" button and then press the arrow keys, my BMW radio STILl skips to the next used station!
Drat!

Just went out to double check both car and bike - and the m button cycles manual tuning on and off as everyone says. As I'm in the US, it will only tune to "odd" frequencies, 100.1, 100.3, etc., so is it possible your radio was set up for another country?
Hope you can get it resolved.
Tom K.
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 13:49:54 -0400, Tom K. wrote:

Aha! Now we're getting closer! In your case, it skips every other tenth. In my case it skips to the next USED station (with or without the 'm'). In everyone elses' case, it goes to every tenth.
How wierd!
MarianWil wrote:

In the US, FM radio frequencies are always on an odd tenth, so many radios will only tune to odd tenths on FM. In my experience, most FM radios behave that way.
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.

I'm a Boomer that doesn't have a Bimmer or a Beemer. It's a Bummer.
Dan
According to my E39 radio manual (have one? looked at it?), you select manual (the "m" button in the middle of the radio/cd track seek and then press the left/right buttons to the appropriate freq.
R / John

On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 06:55:50 -0500, John Carrier wrote:

OK. I guess my radio's broken then 'cuz when I press the "m", I still can't get to any specific UNUSED station like 100.1 FM. I can get to plenty of used stations, but, not to unused stations. Sigh.
MarianWil wrote:

I'm betting you're holding down the tuning button to make it go a long way across the dial to get to 100.1. On most radios with tuning buttons, holding down the tuning button for more than a second makes the radio scan. Try pushing and immediately releasing the tuning button several times; see if it will change frequencies by 0.2 every time.
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.

Another possibility is that the "m" button is the problem. If it isn't working, then the scan button will either scan or advance to the next preset.
Tom K.
clifto wrote:

I was thinking along the same lines, but a lot of cheaper decks I've seen (as well as the stock one in my '03 MPV) will seek by default, or go manual if you hold down the tuning button for more than a second - ie. press it briefly, it will go to the next available station; hold it down, and it will stop as soon as you release it and operate in "manual" tuning until you leave it alone for 10-15 seconds.

You press the M button to change it from "seek" mode to manual tuning mode, then you use the right/left buttons to set the frequency. This is detailed in your owner's manual.
Sheesh, I never had this problem with my 2002... --scott

snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (Scott Dorsey) wrote in

My '77 320i didn't come with a radio.
--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | snipped-for-privacy@iphouse.com

"If you can hear the radio, the engine is too small." -- my friend Dave

Scott Dorsey wrote:

If the engine's large enough to power a good alternator, you can hear the stereo.
--
If you really believe carbon dioxide causes global warming,
you should stop exhaling.
Bert Hyman wrote:

Come to think of it, neither did my 1600 or 2002...
I wish I still had them...

Much later than that in the UK - it was an 'extra' on my '92 E34. To allow consumer choice, 'they' say...
--
*The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth.