How does the car communicate with the dealer?

In the newer BMWs, in the US at least, the car sends out info to the dealer that it is due for service or some malfunction requires it to be serviced.
Does anyone know what technology is used to transmit this info? Is it an SMS sent out through a cell phone built in the car?
Thanks,
Pete
waffled on about something:

I would say that's a safe guess... Although I would think they would be more likely to use a GPRS/EDGE data stream from the cellular system than an SMS which is restricted in message size.
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES

It requires the bluetooth option, then it uses your cell phone to send a text message.

"Jeff Strickland" wrote

So if you don't have a cell phone, the deal is off? :)
Pete
If you don't have bluetooth and a bluetooth cell phone, the option won't work.
Without bluetooth, the car would need it's own phone to make the occasional call to report service needs, and this would suck up all of the phone numbers available in very short order. But, if you had the bluetooth option and a suitable cell phone, then there's no reason the car couldn't talk to your phone while you weren't using it, and report its status to the dealership for you. If you don't have the bluetooth option, then the car can't talk to the phone, and the feature -- calling for service -- won't be available.

Pete wrote:

I wonder, how many people buying brand new BMWs don't have cell phones?
--
-Fred W

I have neither (intentionally).
"Malt_Hound" wrote

Well, I was thinking more along the lines... who would want their car to be using their cell phone? Who knows what kind of information that system actually transfers to BMW? I see it as an infringment on my privacy, but then again, it's an optional feature from what I understand, so it only communicates if you agree to it.
Cheers,
Pete
Pete wrote:

Agreed. In fact, BMW USA even makes light of this in a recent advertisement. The guy is driving along listening to some children's music and his cell phone rings. It is the BMW service advisor (female) asking if he'd like to make an appointment to have his oil changed. When asked how she knew it needed that, she says the car told her. He asks in a panic what else the car told her (fearing she would know he listens to kiddie music) and she says, "that's all".
But I'll bet it would "phone home" if he misses a shift and over-revs it...
--
-Fred W

"Malt_Hound" wrote

Yeah, I did see that commercial. :)

Yup. The thing is, it's really just about how quickly this info reaches your dealer: immediately (via cell phone), or later, during your next service visit (when they hook up a car to the computer and read all fault codes stored in the ECU memory). But if you have your own communication tool, you could possibly erase unwanted data before going in for service. Anyway, that's a whole other story... :)
Cheers,
Pete

Then don't get the option.
Most people like the idea that the car will send a text message that it needs attention. Big brother is watching you, so you better look over your shoulder ...
It communicates by opening your wallet and extracting the proper amount for this months Cash Dialysis Infusion.
;-) B.D.