how far can you drive bmw without stopping?

Page 1 of 3
it's a fair question, i think. could someone point me in the right direction?
i'm gonna be moving home for good. it's a 12.5 hour drive (roughly 850
miles). so, i'd like to know if there's a recommended way of handling the drive.
i have a 1999 323i.
if this has been covered somewhere else already, could you post the link here please? or you could directly email me: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Thanks.

If you're planning on doing it in 1 day, get a second driver to help you out. I've done 900 miles in one day (took about 15 hours), and it can be tiring, regardless how much you love driving. If you don't have a second driver, split it in two days - your drive will be much more enjoyable, not to mention safer.
Cheers,
Pete
This depends more on your bladder than the car. It doesn't need to stop.
You might though.

I doubt a 323 will do 850 miles without re-fuelling.
--
*Life is hard; then you nap

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Do you mean, "how far can I get on one tank of gas?" or "how long can *I* drive without rest?"

Okay, it's the latter. Only you can answer that question. Why ask us? A 12 hour drive in one day shouldn't be a big deal for a grown man. I've had more grueling drives in my time.
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001 -- Cliff
Oh boy. If i'm asking a question about how "I" want to handle the drive, then why the #@$#@$#@ would I post it in "alt.autos.bmw"?
Since i got 3 replies- and none of you got my question, I'll take the blame for not articulating the question properly.
So, here it is: Will there be any problems with my '99 323i car if I drive it continuously for almost 13 hours/roughly 850 miles? There, that's better. Thanks.
Still, I take credit for the post-question- "how far can you drive bmw without stopping?" it wasn't "how far can you drive without stopping?" now, was it???
:) :) :) -A
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Actually, I think Richard Sexton got it. :) I'll definitely need to stop- for every 3 hours. At least for food. ;-)
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Richard did get it right.
I've driven straight through from Pennsylvania to Alabama (about 900 miles / 13 hours) - non-stop except for restroom stops and gas. The car seemed to want to go on, but I was getting a little tired by then. ;-)

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No. Absolutely not a problem due to continuous use. That is, no problems that wouldn't have happened in the next 850 miles of normal use. In fact, continuous use is easier on the car than the normal stopping and starting we put our cars through on a regular basis.
Hope that answers your *real* question.
--
-Fred W

In that case, no.
Pete
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I really have no real idea why you asked the question in the first place.

You can't be serious. Are you thinking that the car will need to take rest breaks or something? It should only need gas a couple of times, assuming it's been checked out for a long trip, e.g. proper levels of vital fluids with no leaks; no neglected simmering problems otherwise with the car that could leave you sitting on the side of the road....
----- Kill ratio of Palestinian children to Israeli children 5.7-to-1, Israel's favor. Kill ratio of all Palestinians to Israelis: over 3-to-1. --------- http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html ---------- "Don't worry about American pressure on Israel. We, the Jewish people, control America, and the Americans know it." ---Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon, 2001
--
Cliff

4 Things: 1) Please turn off the HTML. Newsgroup posting should be plain text. 2) Be sure your windshield washer reservoir (and other fluids FTM) is full. 3) Coke (or any other sugared and caffeinated beverage) is my choice for drinks when you get sleepy: just the act of reaching and sipping helps keep you alert.
FloydR
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

As well you should

well, no, of course not.

No, it was "How far can YOU drive..." You introduced a human elemt into a mechanical question and muddied the water. Your original question could be taken at least 3 ways that I can think of. My first reaction was "Damn, can this boy not do simple math?" But any of the 3 possibilities seemed pretty silly to me, so I didn't answer ;)
As they say, YMMV
uh huh. very funny you guys. 1. Floyd - don't know how to turn off the html-tag feature. i didn't know i was/am doing that. i'm posting via a mosiac-type browser and i see no option to turn off htm-tags. thanks for the other suggestions. 2. Rex - "you" is such a generic term. americans use it all the time. so american aesthetics (given that i'm american..or a little americanized, depending on how you look at it) made me use that term. or i'd have posted using the phrase "how far can one drive...?" ok? period. or in your case, "full stop". what's YMMV? 3. David - thanks for the "asshole" message. it gave me a kick ;-) 4. Jeremy - i listen to a variety of songs, in various languages. and at times, sing out loud. that's how i stay awake, usually. and i eat light. that way, all the oxygen stays in my head :) 5. Tom - thanks for that suggestion, but cruise control gets boring, no? also, i could get sleepy ;-) 6. Cliff - I was being serious with my question. i wanted to know if a 99 model would have any problems if it were to run for that long. any trip over 300 or 500 miles? it's wise to ask a few silly questions. thanks for the tips. i got a full service a coupla months ago- and a 3-hour trip to baltimore went fine. so, i think i'm good :) 7. Fred, Pete & Joe - thanks to both of you.
Rex B wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Your Mileage May Vary

What does light taste like?

Well, when I had to go cross country with my '97 318i, I could get 600 miles per tank if I sucked it nearly dry. That's on open Internstate, cruisecontrol at 70 mph the whole time.
If your 323i has an instantaneous fuel economy display, get yourself in a nice level open road, put it in cruise at the speed you're going to do your trip, and see what you're getting. Then just multiply that by your tank capacity and you should be close.
Tom.

How *do* you stay awake?
--

jeremy
['01 BMW 530iA SE Touring]

There is a "miles remaining" display on our Z3, that tells me how many miles are left on the current tank if I maintain my present speed. Very handy for those times when you know there isn't any gas for the next hundred or so miles. I would assume this is a standard feature of the obc.
I live near San Diego. I took myself, my wife, and two other adults in a 325i from our home to the Grand Canyon in a day. We stopped for a few photos, lunch and gas. It is something on the order of 600 miles from my house to The Hole.
If you take the required potty breaks, and get some food when you fill the tank, I see no reason why you couldn't make the journey without hitting a hotel, especially if you have another driver.