How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Page 2 of 5
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 11:54:01 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

I always thought that "torque converter" is a bit of a misnomer. "Torque multiplier" is a better name for it, given what it does.

Just show what education will do.
Once upon a time fancy names were given to all types of crap. Harley Davidson "Duo-Glide" Eh? 2 x glide - nice name but means nothing. Chrysler "FIREPOWER" nice name but what exactly is different from any other internal combustion engine now HEMI means something.
AUTOMATIC means it does it by itself - and auto transmission cannot think it can only change gear by itself. Ok now we have all sorts of sensors that feed the electronics all kinds of info and it's getting to be automatic but not in 1956.
Education has given us the means to question these snake-oil merchants.
However, a name is a name and that is what it is known by. Is the "induction" system before or after the supercharger? Should it really be called the pressure feed system if the cylinder head side and induction in front of the blower - there is another. Supercharger also known as Blower - one is showroom speak and on the advert the other is bar room speak or drag-strip speak. So what's a "Jimmy" (see above) (GMC Supercharger used on 2T diesels initially)
Let's stop nit picking but then a rocker panel is a sill panel a boot is a trunk a hood is a bonnet a "firewall" is only for American cars that always seem to catch fire in any minor accident in the movies whereas the British have no need for firewalls except on a computer just scuttles (coz they look like the old fashioned coal bucket on the early cars especially the Ford T) and fontwell. Fenders go in front of a fire to stop the coal rolling onto a carpet but bumpers are on the front and rear on a car to bump the next car.
Come on guys - lets have some more anomalies...........
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

gear.
The threshold levels etc. are to a considerable extent predetermined, but even in a purely hydraulic auto box the gearbox selects the gear using a combination of
input revs output revs hydraulic pressure from slip angle in torque converter (relative load) any user settings (gate, kickdown etc.)
basically if the engine is slipping slipping a lot past the gearbox (high revs; low speed) then the gearbox will tend to change down; whereas if the the engine is only slipping a little it tend to change up. Up down thresholds were adjusted by adjusting the spring pressures on the valves.
Some of early sports / economy boxes worked that in sport mode the box reverted to being purely hydraulic with the overdrive top (essentially and electrically operated overdrive) disabled.
In economy mode the ECU knew about throttle settings and engine load etc. and would alter the change up change down points and briefly cut the ignition while the bands engaged to prolong their life and make smoother changes.
On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 18:24:43 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Er no you were saying that automatic boxes in 1956 were not worthy of the appellation, when they were, albeit with hydraulic control systems rather than electronic.

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:28:28 +0100, "R. Mark Clayton"

No Mark the weren't. They changed gear according to load and speed as do the electronic versions but neither are AUTOMATIC as they rely on outside influence to do it. A time switch is automatic, breathing is automatic.
The first "auto" boxes arrived pre 50s and were the 2 speed powerglide I think. Did what it was supposed to change gear automatically. It was crude and troublesome but sufficed and was the fore runner of the great advancement we have today - electronically controlled but still hydraulically operated.
Again the only thing they do automatically is change gear the rest is getting close to AI (artificial intelligence) but we aren't quite there yet.
I fitted an auto to a Hot Rod (Mk2 Ford Cortina fitted with 3 litre V6 + BW 35 auto) and really never stopped driving autos. All but one of my cars since 1968 have been automatics -
Hugh

--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen

It too relies on an outside influence. Someone to set it and something to drive it - electricity or clockwork, etc.

It's under the control of the brain. All sorts of bodily sensors 'feed' the brain which controls breathing.
Auto gearbox means it can operate without human control. Apart from selecting drive obviously. ;-)
--
*Oh, what a tangled website we weave when first we practice *

There are quite a few at my school that bind brain functions difficult!

Gosh - what an idea...........!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

THREE-speed. How outmoded is that?
More to the point, how inefficient at high speeds is that?
DAS
"R. Mark Clayton" < snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com> wrote in message
news:i snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

I reckon many base their dislike of autos on memories of a three (or even two) speed one that spent most of its time churning the torque convertor. Modern multi speed ones are a totally different device. Indeed my first 5 speed ZF auto on an E34 was actually more economical at cruise than the manual due to the TC lock and higher gearing.
--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

I am sure you're right. I would think in general that there is little practical difference in fuel consumption between manual and automatic, with other factors being more important, such as degree of lead-footedness.
Even fairly bog-standard cars have 5 or 6-speed boxes, e.g. the Ford Mondeo (of Europe, for those of an eastern Atlantic persuasion) that I hired the other day. FWIW approx 2 l td. Pretty good, even with 4 people in the car.
DAS
Sorry, I meant 'western Atlantic'; European Fords are reputedly not the same as those produced in North America, and I don't just mean cosmetic differences.
DAS
R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Copuld someone please start a new "alt.redundant-chatter-about-automatic-transmissions" newsgroup?
--
-Fred W

Why? Just set the thread to 'ignore' if you're not interested.
Sheesh.
--
Dan.

Dean Dark wrote:

It was a joke, Dan.
Sheesh.
--
-Fred W

Same here.
SHEESH!
--
Dan.

Isn't that what this is called but shortened to <alt.autos.bmw>
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

I guess you are right because we seem to have this discussion here about every 4-6 months.
If past history is an accurate indicator of future performance, we will soon hear Dave pipe up about how SMG is really just an automatic...
--
-Fred W

If it quacks like a duck it's a duck...
--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?