How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Depends Larry ---- Remember the Chaparral racing sports cars of the late 1960s and early 1970. First ground effect cars + auto transmission. Ground effect? They had skirts and totally enclosed rear wheels and the rear had 2 x fans sucking the air out driven by a 2 stroke mercury outboard engine. They were also the first to fit aero foils.

Boy were they fun............................ especially for the drivers until banned by the unsporting rule changes by people that couldn't beat them.

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Reply to
hsg

Yep.

Nope.

I have driven tanks (literally) with automatic transmissions. You can enjoy the experience, but it doesn't qualify one as a "driving enthusiast."

Although I would disagree with the OP as well -- the number of forward gears doesn't matter much. I've driven six-speeds which would have been better considered as four-speeds for real-world driving purposes. Unless you've got a really small engine that needs the extra gears, six speeds is overkill for the street.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Yes, I was a big Jim Hall fan too -- but I hated those transmissions. 8;) And today's F-1 transmissions, for that matter.

This being an ancient fogey gets old at times...but there's nothing like driving a quick, light vehicle, with a lot for the driver to do.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Larry - it sounds as if we have both been around the block a few times........... Wheeeeeeee!

Reply to
hsg

Anyone else get a valve lifter ticking in the E90 I6 (2007 330), when engine is cold?

Goes away after 5 min or so.

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Mike

What is wrong with the NAV system? I've heard that it takes a little bit to get used to, but is there also a defect in the system, or another reason to stay away from it? Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.

Reply to
<T_Diver

You will NOT regret a manual tranny... easy shifts, smooth.... if you know HOW to drive manual, don't waste your $$ on an automatic. I went from manual bimmer to auto 540 and it was fast but BORING... manual is so much more responsive and controllable. Unless your leg is falling off, you don't NEED a break ;)

Reply to
Chom_Noamsky

What's wrong with the NAV? Have you tried one? I say go try a BMW NAV system, then check out anything from Lexus, Nissan, or Honda. Even Jaguar was smart enough to purchase the same NAV system used by Lexus (Nippon Denso made). The big difference, in the Japanese cars, you get either touch screen or voice command NAV system. Works like a charm. BMW, now how do I work that idrive thing again? Try them both, then get back to us.

OK, if you really want an auto tranny, Roundel says that the new ZF6HP19TU six-speed automatic, found in the new 335i and 535i, is fantastic and works better than the E60 M5 SMG. The only thing is make sure you change the fluid every what 100k miles or so, if you plan to keep the car long term.

Personally, I like a nice manual tranny with some good synthetic fluid from Redline or Purple Royal. Changed every 25-30K miles, its a nice and smooth shift!

Reply to
bfd

"Chom_Noamsky" wrote

In all honesty, the manual on my 530i (e39) is the most finnicky, difficult transmission I have ever owned or driven (many). You have to be extra slow releasing the clutch if you want to do it smoothly, and even then sometimes you end up jerking the car. There is something about the clutch pedal spring weight that just misleads a driver letting him know that the pedal has already been released while the in reality the clutch has not yet engaged. And I am not alone in this observation... a lot of e39 guys on various internet forums complain of the same.

This is after I removed the CDV. Before that, it was even less predictable, although slightly less jerky. Someone on bimmerforums recommended replacing the dual weight springs under the clutch pedal - I might have to try it some day.

Hopefully the current crop of manual trannies is less picky.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

The 6 speed auto in my 730d is fantastic. Cannot tell when it shifts except when foot through the floor boards. Snicks into 6 (overdrive) imperceptibly except when @ 100 mph the rev counter drops to 1900rpm.

go for it.

Reply to
hsg

If you specify the pro or Hi version as in the 7 series (it is an option) and voice command you get pretty coloured maps (otherwise just an arrow) and the ability to voice program it from the steering wheel as with using the built in bluetooth phone system - all available from the steering wheel voice control button.

*Ping - Dial name (or number) State name "Fred mobile" dialing "Fred mobile" Do you want to dial now? Yes Ring ring.....

or

*ping NEW destination state destination New York (or wherever) it that "New York New York or New Your England (8>)) etc etc. Join the main road... turn right at the next junction, turn right in 200 yards...

Brilliant -- especially getting me through Paris (France) in the rush hour.

Reply to
hsg

Sticky lifter - there is some gunk on the market to flush the crap out of lifter galleries and other small orifices.

Worked on my step daughters 318i and my friends 528 so should work on the 330.

Reply to
hsg

I *hate* driving my 2001 M3 around town - the gearbox is like driving a truck. My (auto) 740 is faster and much much more comfortable. Manual boxes are fine but around town etc I'm more than happy with my auto.

Reply to
adder1969

A true manual - complete with clutch pedal - which had a decent auto function for town use would be a truly great invention. Of course forgetting to use the clutch pedal when you reverted to manual might be likely. ;-)

I once had two near identical cars - one auto, one manual. With the gearlever knob feeling exactly the same and in the same place. Caused me lots of problems. The worst being stamping on the brake on the auto when it seemed like time to change gear. ;-)

I don't have the same problem swapping between my normal auto and a different make/model of manual.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The OP was asking about small straight sixes. For the smallest of these the power is reasonable but the torque is not so great. These are usually better off with a manual transmission, since the clutch is small and light, and with an auto lots of oomph would be lost in the torque converter.

Conclusion for a small straight six BMW get the manual and enjoy.

For a larger engine the clutch needs to be bigger, is harder to use, and unless you want to burn it out or break things it is best to wait for the revs to line up before hitting the throttle again. They are quite good on the open road, but hard work in town or traffic. I have had several large engine cars and they stack up like this

1970's

BL 2200 4sp Manual Poor. Undergeared in top. Triumph 2.5TC 4sp Man + OD Good. Overdrive nice when touring*.

1980's

2 off Rover 3500SD1 (V8) 5sp Manual good, but heavy clutch

2 off BMW 735i (i6) 5sp Manual good, but heavy clutch

1990's by mid 90's 7 series with manuals were very rare.

BMW 735i (i6) 4sp Auto adequate (bought on medical advice after two broken ankles).

2000's

BMW 740i (V8) 5sp switchable auto good, but not quite as good as a manual BMW 735i(V8) 5sp 'steptronic' excellent, probably better than a manual

I haven't tried either the 6 speed manual (available in 645i) or 6 speed auto, but I understand both are very good.

Conclusion. Unless you are a driving fanatic (as opposed to an enthusiast) then for recent big engine BMW's auto is best.

  • it was possible to overspeed the engine by dropping out of overdrive 3rd at > 100mph - modern autos won't do this.
Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

And I thought the purpose of a torque convertor was to increase torque at low revs. You live and learn. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Maybe it does, but the torque convertor and auto gearbox consume some of the output of the engine (a manual is by comparison very efficient). For a big engine this is only a few percent, but for a small one the effect is much more noticable (as you will see if you compare the acceleration and top speed of cars which come with both).

For instance

0-100kmph

Manual Auto Difference

116i 10.2 11.2 10% 325i 6.7 7.1 5% 525i 7.1 7.7 8% 330i 6.1 6.3 3% 650i Sport 5.1 5.2 2%

At the small end most competent drivers will be able to drive quicker in the manual than the automatic and would certainly notice the difference.

At the top end few drivers would be able to do better in the manual than the auto, would risk damaging the engine, and would probably need to switch the ASC off (and spin the wheels).

Even a Gran Prix car with the best driver in the world does a better standing start with launch control than with the driver driving...

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

Whilst this is true the larger cars usually have more sophisticated autos. With a six (or more) speed auto, the TC can be locked out apart from starting off and to cushion changes.

Small cars also tend to have more pleasant to use gearboxes and clutches. The bigger they get generally the more notchy the shift and heavier the clutch.

Interesting that Jaguar for a while only supplied a (very good) TC auto on their XK - but the replacement I was reading about the other day will have a true manual option.

Of course BMW have at last seen sense and will be replacing their clunky SMG transmission with a twin clutch type so my objection to those will hopefully be done with - a smooth shifting auto with the efficiency of a manual.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You will, in heavy city traffic.

OP should consider what driving types he has.

DAS

Reply to
Dori A Schmetterling

I always thought that "torque converter" is a bit of a misnomer. "Torque multiplier" is a better name for it, given what it does.

Reply to
Not Me