How good IS BMW's 6 cylinder engine?

Page 3 of 5
wrote:

Ever try to eat a tape recorder? 8;)
-- Larry

I've got a Nagra SN which you just about could. ;-)
--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Punctuation would be nice, too.. ;-)
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Nit picking again - Sorry you don't usually.............
Hugh
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

Yes. Usually I just seethe quitely and alone... :-)
DAS
< snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
And "quietly"...
DAS
"Dori A Schmetterling" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@pipex.net...
Dori A Schmetterling wrote:

So would bottom posting.
;-)
Period.
--
-Fred W

Still moaning Fred.
Some groups want top posting some want bottom posting - you get it where I feel like putting it as does everyone else.
Fred let me remind you that not everyone in the world is American nor speaks American ENGLISH not even the aliens in Star trek or Stargate neither do you own the newsgroups so it's "Hobson's choice"
Hobson was a man that rented horses and you had to be satisfied with what he gave you not what you wanted - bit like Hertz car rental really!
snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com wrote:

I never "moan" about top vs bottom posting. You must be confusing me with someone else.
Here's my take. When replying to a thread with prior replys, one should reply in kind. In other words, if the first replier top posted, so should the second, and vice versa. Otherwise it makes it too damn hard to read the thread.
The alternative is to "fix" the prior reply order to whatever your preference is.
The alternative alternative is to trim all other replies and only add your own reply where you want it.
The only one I really don't like is top posting a previously bottom posted reply or bottom posting a previously top posted reply. Hence you may see the irony of my bottom posted reply to you? Do you need a smiley face here?
--
-Fred W

No! I took it as a cynical and amusing observation.
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

OK, I'll bite. You have a very narrow and misguided idea of what defines a driving enthusiast. Mike.

Yep.
Nope.
I have driven tanks (literally) with automatic transmissions. You can enjoy the experience, but it doesn't qualify one as a "driving enthusiast."
Although I would disagree with the OP as well -- the number of forward gears doesn't matter much. I've driven six-speeds which would have been better considered as four-speeds for real-world driving purposes. Unless you've got a really small engine that needs the extra gears, six speeds is overkill for the street.
-- Larry

Depends Larry ---- Remember the Chaparral racing sports cars of the late 1960s and early 1970. First ground effect cars + auto transmission. Ground effect? They had skirts and totally enclosed rear wheels and the rear had 2 x fans sucking the air out driven by a 2 stroke mercury outboard engine. They were also the first to fit aero foils.
Boy were they fun............................ especially for the drivers until banned by the unsporting rule changes by people that couldn't beat them.
Sir Hugh of Bognor
--
I used to be an Egotistical Meglomaniac - but now I'm just perfect!

Hugh Gundersen
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 18:37:35 +0100, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

Yes, I was a big Jim Hall fan too -- but I hated those transmissions. 8;) And today's F-1 transmissions, for that matter.
This being an ancient fogey gets old at times...but there's nothing like driving a quick, light vehicle, with a lot for the driver to do.
-- Larry

Larry - it sounds as if we have both been around the block a few times........... Wheeeeeeee!
--

Sir Hugh of Bognor

... and the message thread takes an unexpected and somewhat nasty turn....
@comcast.net says...

What is wrong with the NAV system? I've heard that it takes a little bit to get used to, but is there also a defect in the system, or another reason to stay away from it? Also, how is the 6 speed automatic tranny? I have a manual shift car right now, and I need a break, so I am thinking automatic.
You will NOT regret a manual tranny... easy shifts, smooth.... if you know HOW to drive manual, don't waste your $$ on an automatic. I went from manual bimmer to auto 540 and it was fast but BORING... manual is so much more responsive and controllable. Unless your leg is falling off, you don't NEED a break ;)

"Chom_Noamsky" wrote

In all honesty, the manual on my 530i (e39) is the most finnicky, difficult transmission I have ever owned or driven (many). You have to be extra slow releasing the clutch if you want to do it smoothly, and even then sometimes you end up jerking the car. There is something about the clutch pedal spring weight that just misleads a driver letting him know that the pedal has already been released while the in reality the clutch has not yet engaged. And I am not alone in this observation... a lot of e39 guys on various internet forums complain of the same.
This is after I removed the CDV. Before that, it was even less predictable, although slightly less jerky. Someone on bimmerforums recommended replacing the dual weight springs under the clutch pedal - I might have to try it some day.
Hopefully the current crop of manual trannies is less picky.
Pete

I *hate* driving my 2001 M3 around town - the gearbox is like driving a truck. My (auto) 740 is faster and much much more comfortable. Manual boxes are fine but around town etc I'm more than happy with my auto.