How often to change BMW X5 synthetic oil?

I put synthetic oil in my X5 recently. How often should I change it? I went for a oil change at a place where they had never touched a X5 and so they could not reset the on board computer and they could not tell me how often should I change the oil. All they knew was that they were putting synthetic oil. It freaked me out but now I have to deal with what they have put in.

Reply to
Shivani

Bad move. You need to be careful what grade of oil they used, and you should ONLY use the BMW filter too.

Reply to
tech27

RTFM

Reply to
zerouali

BMW would have you believe that their oil specification is special and that only this should ever be used. However a selection of their engines are fitted to Land Rover vehicles and have the same service schedule but with a much wider choice of oil quality grades [due to the specifications being Internationally recognised cross-brand ones] and viscosity grades for given ambient temperatures.

As far as filters go then any equivalent quality pattern item will do the job as is the case with any other car brand.

Huw

Reply to
Huw