how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

Hi,

I have a BMW 2003 325i. I wanted to try and get the rear seats to fold so that I can transport some luggage. However, I couldnt find any levers or anything.

I read the manual and it lists the folding seats as an optional item; if its present, then I should see some levers inside the trunk. I didnt find any. To make things horrifying, I found a metal sheet behind the seats which pretty much implies that even if I manage to fold the seats, its pointless; the trunk space doesnt increase.

So is there anyway to get extra trunk space in my car? How much will an average BMW dealer charge me to get this option?

Thanks, Veerags.

Reply to
Veerags

You can't add the option, it has to be built in. If you have it, the mechanism is obvious, if you haven't got it, you'll never have it with this car. There is nothing preventing you from putting the luggage directly into the back seat.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I feared as much.

BTW, the "luggage" I was talking about was 6 feet long. Some custom made stuff. It wont fit in the car unless I fold the back seats.

I guess I will ask my Corolla driving colleague to help out then; thats going to crush my BMW ego :-(

Veerags.

Reply to
Veerags

...or buy a BMW roof rack for the 3? Might as well - you'll probably need it again in the future.

Reply to
Class-1

I was thinking about this other day - can one just cut a great big hole in the metal sheet across the back or does there need to be some more reinforcement somewhere?

Reply to
adder1969

Why? Did you buy your BMW for its cargo capacity?

Reply to
Fred W

(mumble, mumble) cant have a single thread thread here without the "driving machine" argument popping up. :-(

Reply to
Veerags

I've occasionally had things like sheets of sheetrock in the back of my M3 and sometimes when ones golf paraphernalia gets a bit too big it's nice to have the back seat down, so yes, for me the split folding rear seats was a must. I don't get any ego boost about them though!

Reply to
adder1969

Of course not. It's the answer to all BMW problems, big and small...

Reply to
daytripper

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk wrote on 25 Apr 2006 02:52:28 -0700:

You should be able to fit an aftermarket "ski bag" (if it's the same as the metal not-folding rear seat in my E36 - never even checked before I bought it) - there's a rectangular panel in the middle of the sheet which can be punched out (it has reinforcement around it), and the ski bag fits into the hole. It'll take long thin items (I never got around to actually fitting one for my snowboard, I ended up just slinging it onto the back seat), and extends out where the rear seat armrest folds down.

Dan

Reply to
Spack