how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

Threaded View

Hi,

I have a BMW 2003 325i. I wanted to try and get the rear seats to fold
so that I can transport some luggage. However, I couldnt find any
levers or anything.

I read the manual and it lists the folding seats as an optional item;
if its present, then I should see some levers inside the trunk. I didnt
find any. To make things horrifying, I found a metal sheet behind the
seats which pretty much implies that even if I manage to fold the
seats, its pointless; the trunk space doesnt increase.

So is there anyway to get extra trunk space in my car? How much will an
average BMW dealer charge me to get this option?

Thanks,
Veerags.

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

You can't add the option, it has to be built in. If you have it, the
mechanism is obvious, if you haven't got it, you'll never have it with this
car. There is nothing preventing you from putting the luggage directly into
the back seat.

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

I feared as much.

BTW, the "luggage"  I was talking about was 6 feet long. Some custom
made stuff. It wont fit in the car unless I fold the back seats.

I guess I will ask my Corolla driving colleague to help out then; thats
going to crush my BMW ego :-(

Veerags.

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

...or buy a BMW roof rack for the 3?
Might as well - you'll probably need it again in the future.

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

I was thinking about this other day - can one just cut a great big hole
in the metal sheet across the back or does there need to be some more
reinforcement somewhere?

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

You should be able to fit an aftermarket "ski bag" (if it's the same as the
metal not-folding rear seat in my E36 - never even checked before I bought
it) - there's a rectangular panel in the middle of the sheet which can be
punched out (it has reinforcement around it), and the ski bag fits into the
hole. It'll take long thin items (I never got around to actually fitting one
for my snowboard, I ended up just slinging it onto the back seat), and
extends out where the rear seat armrest folds down.

Dan

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

Why?  Did you buy your BMW for its cargo capacity?
--
-Fred W

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

(mumble, mumble) cant have a single thread thread here without the
"driving machine" argument popping up.  :-(

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

Of course not. It's the answer to all BMW problems, big and small...

Re: how to fold rear seats in a 2003 325i?

I've occasionally had things like sheets of sheetrock in the back of my
M3 and sometimes when ones golf paraphernalia gets a bit too big it's
nice to have the back seat down, so yes, for me the split folding rear
seats was a must.  I don't get any ego boost about them though!

Site Timeline