How to override Television block on TV navi

Hi !

I have a 2001 BMW 330 Convertible, I have the "big" navigation system that has the TV tuner. But the TV goes off if the car moves.

Anyone has any tips of how to remove this "feature" ?

Thanks !

Reply to
Kam Oe

One of the best ways that I have heard of is to disconnect the airbags and cut off the seatbelts. I've heard that this will "unlock" the TV mode...

You do know that this is a safety feature, right?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

One of the best ways that I have heard of is to disconnect the airbags and cut off the seatbelts. I've heard that this will "unlock" the TV mode...

You do know that this is a safety feature, right?

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Legal requirement. To have a TV on in a [moving] car where the driver can see it is an offence.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

No.

1.) it is illegal. 2.) it is stupid. 3.) it is dangerous. 4.) it is illegal.

You are not going to find very much support to help you watch TV while driving, talking on the phone, doing your nails, and choking down a cheese burger.

Try putting the top down and looking around outside the car. There are lots of things to look at out there, the other cars being high on the list.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It's an offense too.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well he certainly does now. ;-)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

Call Unique Whips and they'll fix you right up.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner

You could well be in the running for the best alt.autos.bmw troll of

2005. We'll be in touch with you towards the end of the year to confirm your eligibility for the prize.

Meanwhile, feel free to enter for the competition as many times as you want. The more times you enter, the better your chance of winning!

Reply to
Dean Dark

Where?

Reply to
spammers_lie

United Kingdom. Probably many other jurisdictions as well.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

"Jeff Strickland" haute in die Tasten:

Besides this, BMW seems to have buried the TV disable switch deeply into the car electronics, so that it is virtually impossible to override it.

Why offend a guy with a question, when the answer is "no"?

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

What is the matter with you people ????

What if my passenger would want to watch the TV while I drive ?? There could be many good reasons to remove this "feature"... All this posts from various people here shows more of the envy for my car than knowledge..

There are plenty of aftermarket TV's for cars that shows while driving.. And NO it's not illegal where I live (Spain).

If you don't know the answer to a question I suggest you shut up rather than to throw flames ...

Reply to
Kam Oe

I suppose it's no worse than listening to the radio. Depends what's on as to how distracting it might be.

Look here if you are interested in disabling the safety feature:

The site states that: 'it is illegal to have a television and/or DVD/VCR/Games screen in operation within sight of the driver,'

It's illegal to use just not illegal to sell. Go figure. So it's at your own risk.

This place actually lets you fit satellite to your car:

Crikey - won't need to watch the road anymore - too many other things to look at. ;)

No. I'm sure the majority here are above that. It's just that a lot of people are keen on safety - which is a good thing.

Reply to
Sam Smith

Sorry - not sure where you're from. The legal stuff is all from a UK point of view so it may differ for you.

Reply to
Sam Smith

We are *driving* enthusiasts, not 'couch potatoes'.

Oh, dear! How *would* a passenger desperately wanting to watch TV be able to *survive* a ride in a car without one?

Deal with it.

None that override the dangerous distraction it causes.

[Hopefully, you understand American English useages well:] *Bullshit*! While it would be quite easy for me to find and offer this knowledge, I absolutely refuse to do so ... and it has nothing to do with envy. However, your thinking that it does says a lot about your own reasons for owning such a penile replacement device.

Then go *buy one* so you can win this little "=BFQue es mas macho?" game.

Maybe not, but it's at least as *dumb* an idea as it is here.

Really anoying when you're dealing with someone who *does* know the answers and simply won't tell you, huh? If you'd done a simple search in this group, you'd have seen our propensity to do that. But you're not that smart, either, are you?

-- C=2ER. Krieger (Been there; done that)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

That applies in other situations in the UK. If I am not mistaken, same applies to radar detectors, I think.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Everywhere I have ever been.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Sorry, can't do it. If the passenger was in the back seat, AND the TV screen was on the back of a headrest, then the passenger could watch TV. If the screen is within sight of the driver, it must not be operative while the vehicle is in motion.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I just don't want to be on the road while he's driving down the road at 80, wiping the tears from his eyes after viewing "Hotel Rwanda".

Dealing with the women putting on makeup and men reading the sportspage is bad enough.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Mayner