How to override Television block on TV navi

Page 1 of 2
Hi !
I have a 2001 BMW 330 Convertible, I have the "big" navigation system that has the TV tuner. But the TV goes off if the car moves.
Anyone has any tips of how to remove this "feature" ?
Thanks !
Kam Oe wrote:

One of the best ways that I have heard of is to disconnect the airbags and cut off the seatbelts. I've heard that this will "unlock" the TV mode...
You do know that this is a safety feature, right?
-Fred W
Kam Oe wrote:

One of the best ways that I have heard of is to disconnect the airbags and cut off the seatbelts. I've heard that this will "unlock" the TV mode...
You do know that this is a safety feature, right?
-Fred W
Malt_Hound wrote:

Well he certainly does now. ;-)
Jeff

Legal requirement. To have a TV on in a [moving] car where the driver can see it is an offence.

It's an offense too.

Where?

United Kingdom. Probably many other jurisdictions as well.

Everywhere I have ever been.
No.
1.) it is illegal. 2.) it is stupid. 3.) it is dangerous. 4.) it is illegal.
You are not going to find very much support to help you watch TV while driving, talking on the phone, doing your nails, and choking down a cheese burger.
Try putting the top down and looking around outside the car. There are lots of things to look at out there, the other cars being high on the list.

Besides this, BMW seems to have buried the TV disable switch deeply into the car electronics, so that it is virtually impossible to override it.
Why offend a guy with a question, when the answer is "no"?
Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
What is the matter with you people ????
What if my passenger would want to watch the TV while I drive ?? There could be many good reasons to remove this "feature"... All this posts from various people here shows more of the envy for my car than knowledge..
There are plenty of aftermarket TV's for cars that shows while driving.. And NO it's not illegal where I live (Spain).
If you don't know the answer to a question I suggest you shut up rather than to throw flames ...

I suppose it's no worse than listening to the radio. Depends what's on as to how distracting it might be.
Look here if you are interested in disabling the safety feature: http://www.mobilecentre.co.uk/tvinmotion.html
The site states that: 'it is illegal to have a television and/or DVD/VCR/Games screen in operation within sight of the driver,'
It's illegal to use just not illegal to sell. Go figure. So it's at your own risk.
This place actually lets you fit satellite to your car: http://www.kvh.com/Products/Product.asp?idy
Crikey - won't need to watch the road anymore - too many other things to look at. ;)

No. I'm sure the majority here are above that. It's just that a lot of people are keen on safety - which is a good thing.
--
Sam

Sorry - not sure where you're from. The legal stuff is all from a UK point of view so it may differ for you.
--
Sam

That applies in other situations in the UK. If I am not mistaken, same applies to radar detectors, I think.
DAS
"Sam Smith" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:d5qkpn$g9m$1$ snipped-for-privacy@news.demon.co.uk...
On Tue, 10 May 2005 18:49:29 +0100, "Dori A Schmetterling"

[Stupid top posting fixed]
This is NOT true. Radar and laser detectors are perfectly legal to sell, own and operate everywhere in the UK.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

Don't be so snotty-nosed.
Devices based on position info (e.g. with GPS) are legal to use. I don't think that direct radar detectors are.
DAS
"Philip K" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
On Sat, 21 May 2005 15:18:45 +0200, "Dori A Schmetterling"

I suspect that you just don't think - full stop.
You knowledge of radar detection legislation in the UK is on the same level as your knowledge of Netiquette - you are abysmally ignorant in both areas.
The use of direct radar (and laser) detectors is perfectly legal in the UK, as is their sale and ownership. I don't know where you got the (mistaken) belief that they are not legal, but I suggest that you cease posting misinformation on Usenet; your time would be better spent educating yourself instead of spouting gibberish.
Then again, you do provide yet another example of why most knowledgeable Usenet users ignore anything said by top posters.
--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
I accept I was wrong on the use of radar detectors in the UK (I never said anything about sale) and am happy to say so. I saw an article very recently that reported that the government's bill to ban their use was lost because of the dissolution of parliament.
DAS
"Philip K" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Sam Smith wrote:

I just don't want to be on the road while he's driving down the road at 80, wiping the tears from his eyes after viewing "Hotel Rwanda".
Dealing with the women putting on makeup and men reading the sportspage is bad enough.
Jeff