How to replace battery

I am thinking of replacing the battery on my 2000 540 myself. I am wondering though if there are any special tools or things that I need to do for this. I am afraid that when I disconnect the power that I will mess up something with the radio codes or the computer or something else.

I am hoping that I can just disconnect the old one, put the new one in and that is all but experience tells me that things are NEVER (NEVER, NEVER, NEVER...) as easy or quick as they may initially seem.

The original battery is now 5 years old and I usually like to replace it on my terms, rather than wait to squeeze another year or so out of it and have it go when I am not planning on it.

Reply to
Covad

No problems with my 528, and I took the old battery with me to make sure of getting the correct replacement. No code on the radio.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can uneventfully swap out the battery yourself, but why would you? You'll need to dispose of the old battery anyway. And when you buy the new battery, they'll hit you with a core charge if you don't trade in the old battery.

My recommendation: visit your local Sears/Whatever and let someone else get acid on *their* pants.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

You'll mess up everything you are worried about messing up. The radio will forget its stations, and the anti-theft code will need to be plugged in or the radio will think it's stolen and refuse to work.

It doesn't matter much if you change the battery or the battery guy changes the battery, the same troubles will crop up.

When you change the battery, disconnect the negative lead first, and connect the negative lead last. This will prevent sparks if you happen to touch the body and the positive battery post at the same time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Radio: there's no = n o Radio Code, don't worry and the radio didn't forget the stations when you chance the battery within a "normal" time (not hours!)

Jürgen

"Jeff Strickland" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:- snipped-for-privacy@ez2.net...

Reply to
Jürgen Müller

The E39 has an unique radio so won't fit another vehicle. So no code needed. The only one who might steal it is another E39 owner - but he'd know how bad it was and wouldn't bother. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I doubt you need to replace the batt after 5 years unless it has been giving you trouble... it should be good for much more than that!

Reply to
Sharkmanbmw

I wish...

Ever seen a battery with an unconditional 5 year warranty?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Obviously you don't live in a cold climate. I change my batteries after

4 years regardless.
Reply to
JimV

I have a 540i and I live in Montreal - is that cold enough???!!!! I never said there was a 5 year warranty though did I ???

I have no problem with batteries, never have.

Unless they get discharged and weakened from some other cause,( lights >> I doubt you need to replace the batt after 5 years unless it has been

Reply to
Sharkmanbmw

These are the best I have ever used:

CFL

Reply to
Sharkmanbmw

And who do you ask to help you put gas in the car?

Reply to
tech27

It's hardly unconditional. ;-)

And I assume they charge a premium for their products? Because then it becomes rather like paying for an extended warranty of any type.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

C'mon Dave. We both know that what you say is true of *all* warranties. It has very little to do with the lifespan of the product being warranted. Strictly a marketing ploy.

Personally, I wish automakers would offer a reduced price (delete option) for new car warranties. I'd possibly buy one that way so I could have my repairs done on my own terms and schedules rather than at the manufacturer's.

It would also let people see exactly how much they are paying for their "free" new car warranty.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

A factory battery that is good for more than 60 months? My guess is that it is pretty close to the end of its useful life.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland