How to use TIS CD?

Hello, I ordered a TIS CD (and ETK and KDS and all that stuff), but I can't figure out how to get it going. All the files appear to be there, but I don't know what file to double click to start it. Any ideas? Thanks, Richard

Reply to
marlin

Thanks for the instructions, but it appears there is something wrong. When I try to run the setup file as detailed in the first 4 steps, I get a message that C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT is not suitable for running MS-DOS or Microsoft Windows applications, and therefore I cannot proceed. Any ideas? I tried it on another computer with the same result, so I know it's not the computer. Thanks, Richard

Reply to
marlin

That's because you, sir, have a virus.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

On both my computers? I've gone through them with AntiVir, Ad-aware, A-squared, MS antivirus, HijackThis, AVGFree, CWShredder, and SpywareBlaster...and Norton. How can I still have a virus?

Reply to
marlin

Are you sure it's not because I'm running Windows XP?

Reply to
marlin

Try this: boot in "safe mode with networking support" (and remain in there). · do an online scan at Trend Micro's Free Online Virus Scan · do an online scan at Symantec Security Check

I had the same thing happening on a couple of computers. It was a virus that Trend Micro caught but a couple of others did not.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

I have the TIS, ETK, and ETM installed on a notebook running Windows 2000 Professional, and on a desktop running Windows XP Professional. It is not the newest version (it installed in a directory \bmw95, indicating that it was designed to run on Windows 95), but it runs without problem. The CD is marked TIS and 76-02. The instructions sent indicated to first place the ETK disk in the CD drive, run setup, then place the TIDS disk in the CD drive, run install, then place the ETK disk in the CD drive again and run install. There was a password that had to be entered at the proper place (I don't know if this password is the same for all versions or not). It also makes note to set screen resolution at 1024 x 768.

The ETM was a separate purchase, and has Adobe pdf files for each year/model.

I don't know if a virus or spyware is causing your problem, but I do know that at least some versions will run on Windows XP. Since BMW distributes these to dealers, it would be a reasonable assumption that they are optimized for whatever computer OS the company expects the dealer computers to use. Jim

Reply to
BallroomDancer

I've got the same files, my TIS is from Feb 2004, and the seller said it would work with WinXP. I ran trend micro, found nothing, and I still get the error message. Why does nothing EVER go my way?

Reply to
marlin

Reply to
Disco

My TIS, ETK etc works on a desktop with XP pro, but will not work on my laptop with XP home. I'd suggest that's your problem.

Reply to
zerouali

No, I figured it out. The autoexec.nt file was missing from the c:\windows\system32 folder, but it was in the c:\windows\repair folder. So I just copied the file and then pasted it in the system32 folder and now it works. Apparently it's a side effect of installing service pack 2 on xp home. Richard

Reply to
marlin

I don't think that is the problem as mine works on XP Home just fine.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound

Richard,

I too have installed SP2 on XP Home and found the autoexec.nt file in both locations. Not sure what happened to the on from your system32 folder...

Anyway, glad you figured it out.

-Fred W

Reply to
Malt_Hound