I don't like electric assist stearing.

Must be why I included the Dinan link.

Are you comfortable with crawling

Done it before. Will do it again.

Yep. They agree with me.

Reply to
grinder

This probably has not occurred to you but why would Dinan be offering/selling them if multiple trips back to Dinan would be required to adjust them or require the owner to do self adjustments? Oooops!!!!! Just a shot here but I bet they know where the best initial adjustments need to be.

Reply to
grinder

Hey, C.R., I think this has become a case of "don't feed the trolls." (OK, so I fell for it too.)

JRE

Reply to
JRE

Yes. My experience with my '94 E34 was it was pretty loosie goosie compared to my '95 E36. Of course in addition to RB vs R&P I'm comparing 3's and 5's. Probably not a fair comparison. The one E39 6 cylinder (R&P) that I drove seemed to have nice tight steering. But it was almost new.

Me either, but thats the story I heard. Hey, I read it on the internet, so it must be true... ;-)

Reply to
Fred W

I agree with you 100%. You simply restated my case. None of which has anything to do with "adjustable roll bars". You cannot increase (or decrease) an adjustable bar's stiffness. You can only adjust how much gets applied left to right.

Reply to
Fred W

I have an E46 M3 (euro) and my 130k mile E38 V8 doesn't steer *all* that much worse to the point that I enter into a corner and think "woah!" Sure it won't do the high speed rough stuff with quite as much confidence but it's certainly not comedy cornering like a volvo.

Reply to
adder1969

Good luck sport.

Reply to
Fred W

You have to be kidding. You asked the engineers at Dinan if putting a larger (and yes larger is stiffer) roll bar on the front and a smaller (yes softer) roll bar on the back would reduce understeer and they said YES?

Are you perhaps confusing a salesperson for an engineer?

That is total nonsense.

Reply to
Fred W

And should stay like that unlike RB steering where the box can wear as can all those extra ball joints, etc. The E39 makes perhaps the best comparison - especially early US iron block sixes where the weight is close to the V-8

On most vehicles the rack runs under the engine and there's no intrinsic reason for the crank throws of one to be greater than the other so it's down to sump design.

I'd certainly like an explanation of why the E39 used different systems apart from the one I gave earlier.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But the type of steering should have little to do with the cornering ability - that's down to the suspension geometry. It's the steering 'feel' that changes. Generally, R&P lets you feel the road surface better - and some simply don't like this. It's much more noticeable on small cars with unassisted steering, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They said the bigger sway bar goes on the front (maybe the bigger sway bar is softer). As for adjustments they said each has three holes, based on experience they said they set the initial adjustment in the center hole and have not had any problems in the past or cars being returned for additional adjustments.

They also recommended change tires, camber plates, sway bars as the most economical sequence to correct the understeer.

Now I would like you to NOT worry about it any further. It's o.k. Everything is o.k. It's over. Find somebody else's car to obsess over.

Reply to
grinder

What a strange fellow. You start a thread, talk rubbish, then feel got at.

Next time try talking to the mirror.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I think he's new. He should soon learn that there's lot of people on here keen just to keep arguments going when really people should have better things to do. Me included ;-)

Reply to
adder1969

FWIW the front is always the bigger of the two.

OK, I retract my earlier statement. The "adjustable" sway bars I was talking about are the ones where the links on each end are variable in length. By using different holes drilled in the bar you *would* be changing the effective bar spring rate, albeit in very course and limited adjustments.

Here's a free tip. If you want to stop a conversation, quit answering the replies. ;-)

PS - Good luck with your suspension tuning. Seriously, I hope you can get the results you seek.

Reply to
Fred W

No there's not!

;-)

Reply to
Fred W

I am sure Dave hasn't got that message.

Reply to
grinder

Thanks. I think this experience has confirmed my desire not to join any BMW clubs.

Reply to
grinder

Of course. Little point otherwise. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

?I would never join a club that would have the likes of me as a member.? - Groucho Marx

Reply to
Fred W

The only question remaining is how many people who took your "lessons" are still alive given "C.R." stands for "Can't Resuscitate."

Reply to
grinder