I don't like electric assist stearing.

Page 6 of 6
grinder wrote:

You are comparing tangerines and kumquats. The mini is a super-light front wheel drive car. It is a veritable go-cart compared to the Z4. The Z4 will NEVER handle like a mini.
--
-Fred W

Never said it would but I bet the suspension could be tuned to approach the handling of the stock Mini. I merely pointed out the Mini's suspension is more to the neutral side of balance than the Z4 and as a result will handle better than the Z.

When I still had the runflats on my Z4, I kept up with three well-driven Minis down the Tail of the Dragon (US 129 in western NC). While it gave me new respect for what can be done with FWD, I had no complaints about the Z4's steering, handling or the 050 tires. However, my wife requested that I do it solo the next time!
Tom K.

http://www.turnfast.com/tech_handling/handling_antiroll.shtml "The anti-roll bar reduces body roll to keep the suspension geometry, and ultimately the tire, parallel with the road. Stiffer bars reduce body roll more, but too stiff a bar can deteriorate independent suspension performance, and ultimately cause an inside tire to lift off the ground during hard cornering.
The anti-roll bar can also be a major tuning element in reducing excessive understeer or oversteer. Used INCORRECTLY (my emphasis) it can also cause it."
I don't intend on using them INCORRECTLY. Of course you and whoever are certainly entitled to do so to prove your point.
grinder wrote:

Um, yes, actually you do intend to use them incorrectly. Exactly incorrectly to be precise.
--
-Fred W

Evidently I incorrectly assumed a larger roll bar would be stiffer than a smaller one.

Do you mean that the car actually understeers or that the steering doesn't turn as much as you would expect?? if the former then I don't understand what the electric assist has to do with it. On my old 3 new decent tyres and then some eibachs solved any (unreasonable) understeer.

It's the later.

ratio. Even if that was an option, you'd probably find that the car then would tend to wander more at freeway speeds, as the steering ratio is a compromise between low speed maneuverability and high speed stability.
BTW, changing your tires will likely have little effect since the OEM RE050 tires are pretty good handling tires. I switched from the Bridgestones to Goodyear F1 GS-D3s mainly because of lower cost and an improved ride - but IMHO, the Bridgestones handled as well as the Goodyears.
Of course, you could always have the steering & suspension checked out by a dealer in case something is out of spec - but the fact that the steering assist is electric doesn't seem to be your problem.
Tom K.

When I went to run flats to non-run flats on the Mini S it was like going from night to day. Much much much much better handling and of course the noise difference was huge (something not mentioned in this thread).
BWT, I increased the pressure in the front tires by 2psi. What would you recommend?