I got a more responsive engine by.....

...cleaning my airmeter...
Yep, didn't think it would make any difference, but I tried it and it is a lot livelier...
All I did was take my airmeter out of my 100 000 mile E46 330ci, spray
car cleaner (lots of it) trough the plastic grid at the hot wire, put it back together and took it for a test drive...
The carb cleaner was bought off EBay for a few UKP.
Worth doing!
Pashlipops wrote:

What's an airmeter?
Tony
Tony wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_flow_meter
Andrew
Andrew Morton wrote:

Ugh! This one's better:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_flow_sensor
Andrew
Much better, the first one says "An air flow meter is used in some older cars to measure the quantity of air going to the engine."
I think this is testament that Wikipedia articles are written by numpties.
I should have said MAF or Hot-Film Air Mass Meter - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN52&mospidG620&btnr _0905&hg&fg
The theory behind it is that accumulation of "dirt" increases the heat capacity of the sensor and therefore it takes longer to react to change in flow.
Anyway, give it a try and report back...
Andrew Morton wrote:

Pashlipops wrote:

Or testament that you're too ignorant to know that that's exactly what many older cars have. The E28 uses an AFM (air flow meter).

... and newer BMWs tend to have MAFs.
If you don't know what you're talking about, it's better to remain silent, don't you think? -- C.R. Krieger (Been there; done that)
Yeah agreed, not much point in putting my thoughts down when I am up against intelligent people such as you.
E28 Guy wrote:

Much better, the first one says "An air flow meter is used in some older cars to measure the quantity of air going to the engine."
I think this is testament that Wikipedia articles are written by numpties.
I should have said MAF or Hot-Film Air Mass Meter - http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BN52&mospidG620&btnr _0905&hg&fg
The theory behind it is that accumulation of "dirt" increases the heat capacity of the sensor and therefore it takes longer to react to change in flow.
Anyway, give it a try and report back...
Andrew Morton wrote:

Its the bit that the air filter directs the air before it reaches the inlet manifold. Goes by several other name too.

Sir Hugh of Bognor
On Fri, 17 Nov 2006 18:09:06 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@h-gee.co.uk wrote:

An intelligent person should be able to come up with something less hackneyed and shopworn than the above two quotations.
-- Larry
what do you expect; this is a freakin newsgroup! doh!!

Don't get many of these now-a-days

Sir Hugh of Bognor
Pashlipops wrote:

For future reference, it costs less than that from a car parts place.
Andrew