I thought gas was gas

I thought the only important thing about gas was making sure the correct octane was used for the car. That the same gas was essentially used at all stations.

Now this.

Four of the world's top automakers, BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota recognize that the current EPA minimum detergent requirements do not go far enough to ensure optimal engine performance. A lower level of detergent may cause a buildup of deposits on critical engine parts.

Reply to
nobody

Strange, one of the nice things about the BMW high pressure fuel injection system is that it is very difficult to clog anything in there up. The jets are smaller than with low pressure systems, but the force of the fuel will blast nearly anything out. Likwise the regulator itself does not clog easily.

You still need detergents to keep the valve train clean, of course. But you can get away with remarkably crappy gas that would foul up most American cars.

--scott

Reply to
Scott Dorsey

I heard that Shell, 76, Chevron and ? were part of a group that produces gas to a higher standard than usual:

Martin Stein

Just as with most things you get what you pay for. Pay peanuts - get monkeys as you have probably already found out when going to "Shady Backstreet Joe" for servicing and body repairs.

Pay $5 for a pair of shoes and you get rubbish pay $100 and you get a good quality pair of shoes that will actually fit your feet.

One of the things that you forget is the price of your car. Buy a base model Chevy and you get basic transport buy a Cadillac and you get slightly more refinement and comfort - buy a BMW or Mercedes top of the range and you get high quality in both build and equipment and the Rolls Royce is the living proof as is the Bugetti Veyron - not quite the thing for shopping at Wal-Mart/Tesco etc as no trunk/boot.

Petrol/Gas has a base minimum standard. If its 80 octane it must be 80 octane - period. If the makers add bells and whistles and make it better value than brand X all well and good.

I have rarely seen a brand better then name brands that claim all the bells and whistles. Both must work but which one works better is the question.

Hugh

Reply to
hsg

" snipped-for-privacy@o-yoohoo.edu" wrote

This is old news. Gasoline additive packages have always differed among companies. I try to use Shell or Chevron most of the time.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

I used to use TOTAL until they stopped the loyalty card reward scheme. Now I buy from the most reasonable outlet - I use diesel so not much going on there except for the climate change when the additives change to stop waxing.

My BMW seem to run just as well on Supermarket fuel as it does on name brands that cost that little more. I don't really bother that much as to brand than price here in the UK which in itself is a government rip off.

Reply to
hsg