Idle Control Valve

Does anybody know what controls the valve on an E38 please? I have replaced it but still have the same intermittent failing to idle fault.

Have you checked the throttle position switch? Maybe you have a vacuum leak too?

Likely either a CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor) or leaky valve cover gaskets. I had this issue diagnosed at a dealer but replacing the ICV did not fix it. Go here and search for what is a relatively common issue:
http://www.bimmerboard.com