Idle hunts, gas smell

Thanks again everyone for the advice on the Bentley manual.
Right now, on my 1990 525i, the idle hunts between roughly 1300 and 700 RPM, and I also have a gas smell coming from the engine at idle.
Any suggestions on what I might be looking for? From previous newsgroup discussions that I searched, I'm guessing the there might be a vacuum leak at the throttle intake boot, but I haven't taken my car repair into my own hands in about a decade, so any other recommendations are welcome. Thanks!
MB
Sticking electronic idle valve? Give it a wack with a screwdriver handle and see if it changes.
Inlet manifold gaskets? Spray some brake cleaner where the manifold joins the head, do the engine revs pick up?
Split air intake hoses after the A/Flow meter? Visually check them all PROPERLY. Seen it before where a split was not noticed because it was out of sight.
Smell of petrol, obviously look for leaks and staining around the fuel pipes. Particularly rubber flexi hoses around the fuel rail area.

Thanks a lot-- will check these out this weekend.