Idle Problems E34 525i M50 1995

Recently I have been having problems when stopping for a peroid of 30s to 1min, the engine revs high for a moment then the check engine light comes on. It may stay on for 5min-10min then turns off, during this time the engine runs rough at idle or at speed. Checking the engine code only turns up 1222 (Lambda Control) which has been in the ECU for the last 1-1/2 yrs, I suspect the MAF is going bad but the check engine light always shuts off before I can check the code when this issue presents itself. Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Chad

Reply to
ckramer7070

Chad,

Are you sure that you are extracting all of the codes? When you do the stomp test to get the check engine codes you need to re-do the 5 stomps after each code to get to the next one, other wise the light will continue to flash out the same (first) code. When you have seen all of the codes you will get a 1000 to indicate no more codes.

Reply to
Fred W

Sounds like a sticking idle control valve.

Reply to
John Burns

Thank you Fred, I had no idea that I needed to do the stomp test more than once. I'll give it a try tonight.

Thanks,

Chad

Reply to
ckramer7070

Looks like code 1221 came up as well, O2 sensor. I have replaced the O2 sensor last year and possibly not cleared this code, or it is the other O2 sensor. Can someone tell me where these are located? The one that was replaced last year was about mid frame.

Thanks,

Chad

Reply to
ckramer7070