iDrive malfunction

Anybody have info on why the entire iDrive system freezes. There are times i cannot operate the cd, radio, nav, ... sound is on mute and nothing works.
It resets after few hours of car being turned off. Is there a way to force the reset. 2004 530i.

I'll bet there are loads of software updates for iDrive! I'd contact your dealer and make sure you've got the latest version.