If you are thinking of buying a BMW read this

The longer I have my 06 5 series BMW the more I regret the purchase. I have owned Lexi, Infiniti, Corvettes, Cadillacs, Volvos, Saabs and I have never regretted a purchase as much as I do this one. It is fun to drive and admittedly handles better than any other sedan I can think of but the ergonomics, to put it simply, leave too much to be desired for a car in this price class. BMW has some of the best drive train/suspension engineers in the world, maybe the absolute best. Unfortunately BMW has absolute idiots, basically morons, designing the interiors and controls of the vehicle. One really need not go further than the cup holders, but it gets worse. At my height, 5' 11", it is impossible not to constantly bang my left leg against the rock hard faux wood hand rail on the door. This aggravates me more than anything. I feel like I get bitten every time I drive the car. Many necessary functions, including cruise control, are difficult to operate in their left of steering wheel location (it is a right handed world after all). The steering wheel heater button is utterly incaccesible unless you lean over the steering wheel and look for it hidden in the recesses of the left side of the steering wheel. Or is that the steering wheel up and down button? In and out? Setting the air conditioning requires navigating through the BMW version of the worst of Windows as well as using a traditional switch on the dashboard. There is no way to rapidly adjust fan flow without having to go through a complex ordeal that requires you to divert your attention from the road to use the computer screen. Unless you simply want maximum blasting of the air, which is available by a button on the dash. Switching radio stations is a major ordeal and an act of faith: it works blindly or you have to navigate through multiple computer screens using the Teutonic Wheel of Death. If not set on preprogrammed stations, which has an unrealistically limited number of settings, then if you are temporarily in an area where the signal is weak that particular station will not be recognized on the "all stations" settings. Did I mention that the "all stations" settings arranges all receivable signals in a non sequential order? Therefore pushing the up or down button on the steering wheel does not necessarily take you to the next station in order of frequency. The voice command system works about as well as any computer voice transcription system, which is to say not at all. Not even slightly. Not even a hiccup. Its sad when even the service technician shrugs his shoulder and says it is just another non-perfected gimmick. I do like the blue tooth. However if you have a Verizon but not a Cingular treo, the same frigging phone, only some but not all of your preprogrammed numbers will be available. Back to the computer screen and the Teutonic Wheel of Death. Once a destination programmed into navigation has been reached major reprogramming is required to stop getting directions. Also the directions are inaccurate: when the freeway veers left the voice tells you to exit the freeway to the left although there is really no frigging exit involved. It will tell you to exit the freeway to the right, if the freeway veers right, and if there happens to be an exit there you can guess the rest. My wife likes the car, at least.

Reply to
bmoag

Didnt you take a test drive ?

Reply to
Mike Cook

I own a 2000 E38 which is great to drive and the switches are well thought out and easy to use. However, on a 48-hr test drive in the new

7 series with the i-drive, I found much the same issues; having to navigate through loads of screens to do the simplest tasks. It seems that BMW removed all the switches to make a simple 'cleaner' one-control interface; but while I loved the way the car drives and the comfort and features, it was a relief to get back into my car with its simple interface. Just my opinion...

La Tercia Real

Reply to
La Tercia Real

On 13 Apr 2006 01:31:05 -0700, "La Tercia Real" waffled on about something:

In a recent UK TV program, Top Gear, they did a 0-60 test on the new M6, they timed it at a 14 minutes... They included all the time it took to set the engine to maximum power, sort out the suspension and traction control settings using the i-Drive... LOL!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

Giving an alternative viewpoint I own a Roadster S (which has the Z4 interior) and really, really like the whole package. Perhaps it is just a 5 series 'thing'?

I'm 6" 1" and find the cabin very comfortable to get into and out of - I am surprised that the 5 is so awkward.

I'm right handed and find that controls for cruise on the left are more sensible as I prefer to keep my right hand on the wheel. But that's just a personal thing.

That sounds posh. Us poor Roadster S users can't have heated steering wheels. Would be useful in a softtop too.

I can't comment on that as the Z4 doesn't have iDrive. Instead we just have an old-fashioned dial as well as the cold blast button.

I can imagine that to be very annoying - again we don't have iDrive just a normal radio system. Even with the pro sat nav computer stuff it works just as well as a 'normal' car radio.

That surprises me. Voice activation in the Roadster is excellent - even though it is a soft-top and you would expect the extra engine noise to interfere. I find it necessary when dialing numbers as otherwise you have to look at the sat nav screen and dial the radio to select numbers - very dangerous.

I agree the Blue Tooth integration is superb.

Just two clicks required on the pro sat nav without iDrive. Guess iDrive doesn't have much going for it?

Now this is something I can sympathise with. It does it here in the UK too - even on b roads. You come up to a sharp left turn and it tells you it's a junction. Doesn't do it all the time but it is annoying when it does.

So does mine. Not necessarily a good thing when she won't give you it back. ;)

Reply to
Sam Smith

It did look a bit crazy. Not sure why you would need 3 engine power settings: 400BH, 500BH and (I think) 500BH Sport. What's all that about? Do you save a tiny bit of fuel on 400BH mode?

I'm sure some M6 user will enlighten us.

Reply to
Sam Smith

I remember the good old days, when BMWs were drivers cars and didn't have most of the facilities you moan about. Cars are for driving, not gadgets. BMW seems to have forgotten that.

Reply to
John Burns

It is concerning that manufacturers think we want more buttons to press when at the end of the day we just want to be able to drive - with as few buttons as possible! What else do we buy a car for?

Reply to
Sam Smith

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 11:42:55 +0100, "Sam Smith" waffled on about something:

Actually you've got that round the wrong way.

We want lots of sensible buttons, in sensible places that do just one thing.

Not a twisty pressy i-Drive button that does 27 things and requires you to take your eyes of the road to check that you're turning the radio up and not disengaging traction control and engaging the nitrous injection!

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

:)

Reply to
Sam Smith

So sell it and go buy another brand

Reply to
Starshiy Nemo

In that case, order voice control, it is easy to use and accurate (only occasionally misunderstanding commands). Regretably it doen't understand irony, sarcasm or profanity - but other than that its excellent!

Roger

Reply to
Roger Matthews

Exactly. Everything else is a minor annoyance.

If BMW would just remove the useless crap altogether (cupholders, heated steering wheels, iDrive, power seats, and so on) we'd have a decent motorcar.

Reply to
sunderland

Careful... that's the point of iDrive, isn't it?

;-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

Unfortunately some other manufacturers have started going down the iDrive route, incl. Mercedes.

DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

An American obsession...

;-) DAS

Dori A Schmetterling

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:10:52 +0100, "Roger Matthews" waffled on about something:

Other than the profanity it sounds just like an American :o)

*ducks*

Dodgy

Reply to
Dodgy

You still do. Most extras you don't actually HAVE to have. iDrive is a bit of a problem though in that it is a forced option on nearly every model now.

Reply to
Sam Smith

On 13 Apr 2006 07:16:32 -0700, "sunderland" waffled on about something:

I believe BMW did used to make such vehicles. I think it was called an E36. :o)

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy

:))