Ignition Coils help me sleep...

Encountered a potential problem today. When I pulled the ignition coils out I noticed a couple of things. Not sure if this is how it is supposed to
look but this is what mine looks like. Each ignition coil has 2 threaded shafts going into the valve cover and each shaft has a 10mm nut that goes over it. I won't even get into the millimeters of oil caked on the plugs when I checked those!
Questions are...
Should there be 4 threaded shafts on each coil and 4 nuts instead of 2?
When I inspected them the first time they were loose and seemed to have some spring to them, is this correct or should they be socked down?
Final problem... The threaded shafts actually came out of the valve cover on some of these and did not seem to go back in too easily. Should I just order another valve cover and new shafts? Or is this common and if so how do you get them back in the valve cover?
Car is in storage and the Bentley guide is on the front seat. Maybe someone can help me sleep better tonight as this is driving me bokers!
Thanks again, Dan