Ignition problem

I am about to fit Ford EDIS (Electronic Distributorless Ignition System) into my '87 E30 316 (M10 engine). While I was testing EDIS something happened to the original ignition system.
I just disconnected HT leads from the distributor, and connected them to the EDIS ignition coil. I started the engine , and let it run for 20 min or so.
Original ignition control unit (TCI) was connected, as was ignition coil and pulse generator (in the distributor). I only disconnected HT leads.
When I finished testing EDIS, I connected HT leads back - and the engine would not start. I checked (ten times) that I connected HT leads in right order (1-3-4-2 anticlockwise). I removed one HT lead and connected it to a spare spark plug - and I had the spark.
I than connected EDIS back - the engine started immediately. Again back to the original ignition system - now no spark at all.
So I checked if I had +12V and ground at ignition control unit - OK, lead from it to ignition coil is OK, pulse generator resistance was OK, only pulse generator gives 0.75V (should be 1-2 V). Perhaps I should mention that it was -4 Celsius (-25F) when I measured this. Ignition coil is ~0.8 ohm primary, and ~8kohm secondary.
I tried with spare ignition control unit - and it does not work.
Any thoughts about what might have cause pulse generator to fail (if it failed)? Or did I miss something?
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Sounds like a worthwhile upgrade. Is there a guide somewhere that shows what has to be done to make this work?

Might should have disconnected the original system completely.

The failure is most likely in the coil as it was left to fire without anywhere for the spark to go. The continous arcing inside the coil will eventually burn the insulation and create a short. If the EDIS works, why go back???
Nedavno Michael Yeager napisa:

Not for BMW specifically. You use EDIS ignition module and MegaJolt controller unit for timing. It's all here:
www.autosportlabs.net

Well it seems that I learned this the hard way :-)

It's cold now, and I will do further tests when the weather improves.
I do not want to go back, I just wanted to keep original ignition system as a backup.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

And that's why I decided to fit EDIS.

I wanted to keep the original ignition system as I do not want to limp home for 500 km :-) But few MegaJolt users told me that it's quite reliable, so perhaps I am going to remove all old stuff. The only problem I have is that MegaJolt kit did not arrive (and will not be here for two weeks), so I can not drive my car.

I was thinking the same. From Bentley manual:
"On models with 4-cylinder engines, the oil pump is driven by a chain actuated by a gear on the front of the crankshaft."
So it should be OK to remove distributor. And I will fabricate a bracket for EDIS ignition coil that will place where distributor was. I have old distributor that I do not use, perhaps I can modify it to act as a bracket for ignition coil.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Pulse generator did not fail. It was the coil. All OK with the new one.
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **

Nedavno Michael Yeager napisa:

Still waiting for MegaJolt ignition control module...
--
___ ____
/__/ / \ ** Registrovani korisnik Linuksa #291606 **