Ignition switch wiring

I need to access the positive (+'ve) ignition wire. Is it easier to do it from the steering wheel column or straight from the engine compartment? I will be splicing a wire to it. I would rather get it straight from the steering wheel colum, but if worse comes to worse...Which one is it in the engine compartment? The one that connects to all of the spark plug suppressors? What colour is it normally?

Reply to
noobiedoobie

The normal colour for the feed to the ignition etc just after the switch is violet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks very much Dave, For some reason, my previous reply didn't get posted...anyway let's try again... I need to know how to run wires from the engine compartment to the dashboard and vice versa. How is the wiring routed through the firewall?

Reply to
noobiedoobie

On Jun 6, 2:56 pm, noobiedoobie wrote:

Hi everyone, I have opened up the space under my dashboard behind the steering wheel ('91 535i) and found a way to snake wiring from the cabin to the engine compartment. The easiest way is along the tube (piggybacking) that goes from the hood release lever to the hood release latch in the engine compartment. It appears that a small hole has been drilled either through the firewall or along the edge of it by BMW at the factory to allow for this lever line to run from the cabin to the hood. The hole is wide enough to get wiring in alongside the tube that holds the hood release lever. Through the hole from the engine compartment just behind the fusebox and into the lower dashboard behind the steering wheel mechanism goes the wire. In addition, for the benefit of others who may need to know: I have identified the colour schemes for the ignition switch on this car. The red wire is hot (straight 12 volts from the battery positive), the green wire is the accessory, and the purple wire is the ignition wiring. I assume that this purple wire goes to the starter solenoid and from there goes to the distributor, rotor and spark plugs. If you need a ground connection under the dash behind the steering wheel, just look for a bunch of brown wires stranded together and all going to a nut screwed into a bracket. This is your ground connection, just unscrew the nut and loop your ground wire around the bolt and screw the nut back on tight.

Reply to
noobiedoobie