Importing BMW diesel engine

What was the last BMW engine that had essentially mechanical injection as opposed to common rail? Are they available from dismantlers in Germany or elsewhere in the EU? I wonder how hard building a diesel BMW would be using a BMW engine, before they import them again. I don't think the CRD will run on the current US diesel fuel-or will the fuel system handle it if you get rid of EGR and particulate trap?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

On 6 Sep 2006 19:21:24 -0700, "Bret Ludwig" waffled on about something:

Well my '96 E36 325TDS is a good old tractor style diesel engine.

That's the M51 engine found in E36 325TD/S, E34, E39

The only difference between the TD and TDS engine is an air/air intercooler, but it's worth about 30bhp and 40lb/ft.

The E36 TDS also got the 5 speed auto instead of the 4 speed of the TD model.

They're certainly about. I'm in the UK and often see other 325 TD/TDS's trundling round the motorways (which is where they come into their own fuel economy wise).

I don't know how good/bad your Diesel is these days, but from what I heard, back in '96 the engine in mine wouldn't have liked it one bit.

Dodgy.

Reply to
Dodgy