Inspection 1

Hi, How much should I be looking to pay for the inspection 1 on a 330 Sport Conv?

I just had this done on my 528i and it was around $350
Im not sure if there is a price different on the 3 and 5 series, but its a number for you :)
-Branden

If you look in the manual to see what they do in an Inspection I, you wouldn't pay for the service. They mostly change the oil and check the fluids, where "the fluids" are essentially the radiator, the windshiled washer, the power steering fluid and the brake fluid. The Checklist shows some other items, but if you had issues with any of them, you'd be pointing them out.
I don't know what they charge, but if they charged a dollar, they'd be overcharging. Unfortunately, there aren't many things you can do to avoid the charge.

Russell wrote:

As little as possible? What did I win?
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

They even gave me a car for the day while they serviced mine. I thought that was the deal for the first 4 years and 48000 (?) miles.
N'est ce pas?
Alphageek wrote:

It depends entirely what market you are in. The OP is in the UK (from his email address) and they do not participate in the "free maintenance" promotions there. Of course, you realize it's not free either, anymore than thge manufacturers warranty is. The maintenance (and warranty) costs have just been factored into the selling price.
--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys here:

And given BMWs sell for about the same number of pounds as dollars makes the lack of free servicing even more of a con in the UK?
--
*A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory *

The Bentley manual says the the Inspection I service is to check the level of clutch/brake fluid, battery fluid, coolant, oil and (replace) filter, and the final drive and transmission, and windshield washer fluid, and check the lube on the throttle linkage. It also calls for checking the steering linkage and replace the batteries in the key fob.
All of this stuff is stuff that should be done each and every oil change, if you stop to think about it. There's an outside chance that one would not expect the oil change shop to check the steering linkage or the batteries inthe key fob, bot all of the rest of this stuff is normal service that should always be done when the oil is changed.
The Service Interval II is the same, with the addition of the air filter and the microfilter, new spark plugs, fuel filter, lube door and hood hinges (it doesn't say, but I assume the trunk lid hinges are included).
Frankly, when one buys a $35,000 for $40,000, this kind of stuff should be done for free without one having to ask.

'The Bentley manual says '?????????????

Yes, the Bentley manual.
Bentley is the publisher of an excellent resource for your BMW. If you haven't got a Bentley manual, you shouldn't be doing anything that can't be fixed by looking at the dip stick.

Strange. I've had 3 BMWs and never a Bentley manual as they're not readily available in the UK. I make do with the TIS and ETK CDs.
--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I have both the TIS and Bentley. The TIS is a lot tougher to find what you're looking for if it even exists. The paper manual is usually the first thing I grab.