Inspection II Brake Pads

From

it says "Remove and install front and reat(sic) disc brake pads, check overall thickness. "

Presumably - they are simply re-installing the old pads if they are thick enough?

If I'm getting someone else to do this I can just have a quick look behind the wheel or let a "proper" check be done as part of MOT?

Kwik Fit etc want 161 for new pads all round! My local rough garage want 45+50 (supply+fit) or (20+25) fit only.

BMW 320i Coupe 1994

Lordy

Reply to
Lordy

Fronts are easy. Turn to full lock (first one way then the other) and have a look / measure. Rears probably require a ramp, or at least the wheels taken off (probably being swapped anyway as part of an inspection II).

Have a good look at the disks themselves at the same time for deep or uneven wear.

If you cruise up and down motorways they can last ages, rushng round town and they soon wear out.

Well I wouldn't take them off if they are thick enough.

MOT will not check thickness, only efficiency.

I thought they pulled out of this business due to their well established reputation... and were sticking to tyres and exhausts, although perhaps the AA took them over.

Which sounds about right.

See

for aftermarket parts. Unless you are racing or live in the Alps, the BMW ones are a bit of a luxury on a car this age.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

I recall there being a specific reason for removing the pads and reinstalling them. Maybe it was something obout greasing the contact points, I don't remember exactly. I am 100% certain that BMW would not remove the pads and reinstall them if all they needed to do was take a peek at the thickness of the pads.

Reply to
Fred W

I'd say the real purpose is to clean the dust from the callipers - you don't need to remove pads to check the amount of friction material remaining.

The MOT doesn't check 'service' items. If the pads have enough 'meat' left and pass the brake test that's it. Although a kindly tester may advise they are close to replacement time. But in reality all that's needed is that they pass the test on that day. They could be worn down to the backing a week later...

You also need to check the front discs' thickness. These need replacing about every other pad change. Rears last rather longer - although the handbrake should also be cleaned and adjusted at inspection time.

FWIW, BMW brakes are pretty easy to work on. If money is tight it's certainly worth DIYing - get an experienced pal to help the first time. Eurocarparts are a good source for OEM quality spares at a fraction of BMW prices.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The MOT testers manual

says that pads of less than 1.5mm thickness are a reason to fail the vehicle.

Reply to
SteveG

It's a nice theory, but it also includes brake shoes. And on most vehicles these can't be inspected and measured at MOT time. Nor can the pad friction material be measured accurately either without removal - and dismantling is forbidden.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Blimey! =A3161!!

Pads must be about =A350 for fronts and rears.

It's really very easy to do....

Want me to do it for much less than that!?

Reply to
Russ (www.e36coupe.com)

Accepted. My post was really to make the point that Mark wasn't correct when he said pad thisckness wasn't part of the MOT test. I only knew because mine failed on that back in November.

Reply to
SteveG