Instrument cluster - if I replace it, will my mileage be the same? E36 1997 BMW 318ic

Wondering if I change my instrument cluster, will my mileage stay the same? I just want to make sure it will so there are no issues in selling my car, thanks. The car is a 1997 BMW 318IC (E36 Model)

probably not..........the replacement may have to be electronically doctored to match the original.

No. The new cluster will start counting milage from 0.
I had to do this on my 1997 E36 318i when I moved to the US (my spedometer didn't have MPH). The dealer provided a letter when they did the change that documents the milage on the old cluster at the time of removal. I keep that with all the rest of the documents in case I have to sell it in the future.
Tom.
Ah, but the newer cars store the data in the ECU. I swapped out my E39 cluster and it didn't miss a thing.
R / John

waffled on about something:

Maybe the newer ones do, but my '96 E36 certainly didn't. Mine had a complete instrument cluster failure early in it's life, so it got changed under warranty by a previous owner, but it sure makes for an interesting looking service book. :o)
Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES