Intensive Washing - Magic Refill?

Is the Intensive Washer fluid supposed to do anything? I suppose it is - otherwise it wouldn't be there. However, on my E39 530 Touring (2001), the
level hasn't moved a tiny bit since I bought car many months ago. I've used the washers many times, including the button thingy on the end of the stalk (which does seem to squirt something harder onto the screen) and have had to replace normal washer fluid loads of times - but the intesive fluid just sits there staring at me, full to the brim, every time I open the bonnet. I think it's laughing at me or trying to tell me something - but I can't work it out...
--------- Toby T