Interesting Run flat tire delima - Hurrican Katrina

I live in the New Orleans area. As you know we had major damage. The major clean up has caused a lot of debris on the roadways. The trucks hauling this stuff has not been contained properly and much of it is
spilling out onto the highways. I have seen box springs, sofas, roofing material, all of which contain(s) a lot of sharp metal objects. My wife's 325 came home with a flat yesterday - but she has a spare. The Z4 we have has the run flats. I am tempted to park the Z4 until they get a handle on this because I really do not want to puncture the run flats. I anticipate getting flats frequently until this clean up passes (maybe years)?

The run-flats can be patched, although some tire shops either claim they don't have the proper equipment or they add a surcharge ($20~40). It's still cheaper than the $250~325 replacement cost from Tire Rack.
Best of luck on getting back to some semblance of normalcy.
Tom
I am preparing to retreive the 3 series tire. It was no problem to fix that tire. We own a 2003 3 series. I am glad I do not have the current year. I wish BMW would give an option for non run flats. It is the type of unusual driving conditions that one cannot forsee that causes us grief. I also do not like the option of having a dip stick on the current models???
Yes. It is more expensive and I'm some repairs shops don't repair run flats. I will continue to drive the Z4. I will just drive it on roads where they do not have a lot of debris. It is a spare car anyway.
Jean-Paul Lanaux.
@spamspamcomcast.net says...